PowerShell HelpWriter 2017The first professionally designed environment for writing and editing Windows PowerShell help files.
- Completely redesigned for 2017 release.
- Improved performance and user experience.
- Fully-featured editor helps you write accurate and complete help topics.
- Supports all command types: cmdlets, functions, workflows, CIM commands.
- Converts comment-based help to PSMAML files.
- Creates new help files from scratch.
- Create and edit about topics.
- Generates starter help for any command or all commands in a module.
- Edit help files using the designer or directly using the XML editor.
- Refresh the content to reflect changes in the module.
PowerShell HelpWriter is the premier editor for Windows PowerShell XML help files. Create and edit help files for all command types, including cmdlets, functions, workflows, and CIM commands. Focus on your content and let PowerShell HelpWriter worry about the XML.
Generate help files from modules
No need to start from scratch. PowerShell HelpWriter analyzes your module and generates starter help files that match the cmdlet code.
Manage module help files
The new projects allow to manage multiple help-xml files and about topic. Was the module updated? Refresh the module's help content by the press of a button.
Focus on examples
The PowerShell HelpWriter designer features an environment especially designed for writing examples with an editable prompt and monospace font for formatting output.
Edit in XML
Whenever you need it, you can view or edit the help file in the built-in XML editor. The PowerShell HelpWriter XML editor is a complete XML editor—not just a read-only viewer.
Complete Help Editor UI
Features a dynamic editor that guides you through the process of writing complete and accurate help topics for all of your commands.
Help Matches the Code
PowerShell Help Writer generates starter help topic from the code in any command of any type, including individual commands and commands in a module. No need to figure out the cmdlet attribute or parameter attribute values, inputs or outputs. And, the help always matches the code.
Create help files from scratch
Use the PowerShell HelpWriter editor to create help from scratch for new or existing modules.
Edit existing help files
Edit existing help files in the PowerShell Help Writer editor UI or as XML. Add or delete parameters, including dynamic parameters.
Convert comment-based-help to PSMAML
Generates starter help from existing help in your new PSMAML files, including comment-based-help for functions.
Validate PSMAML Files
All help files conform to the PSMAML schema for Windows PowerShell help files. Use the Validate Help Schema feature to validate any file. PowerShell HelpWriter will autocorrect common structural issues in order to comply with the MAML help schema.
Design before coding
Write help for a module before the code is written as a code specification. Once the help is written, use PowerShell Studio's "New Module from Help File" feature to automatically generate the module's code.
Latest Version: 2.1.34
- Windows Server 2008 R2 / Windows Server 2012 / Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10, 32-bit and 64-bit versions supported
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later
- Windows PowerShell 2.0 or later
- 2GB RAM (Recommended for Windows PowerShell)
- Processor capable of running Windows 7
- Visual Studio 2012 Runtime