Hadoop, Hive, Pig etc

Batch, ASP, JScript, Kixtart, etc.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
rowlandg

Hadoop, Hive, Pig etc

Post by rowlandg »

I've recently started working with Hadoop, Hive and Pig. Do you have any plans to support the Big Data technologies and languages?

Hive is somewhat like ANSI 92 SQL so there's an initial area I know you can cover. But Pig has a different approach. The most popular editor I think is the PigPen plugin for Eclipse.

TIA
Rowland
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Hadoop, Hive, Pig etc

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I must admit I have never heard of these before today, so no, we had no plans.
We are never opposed to adding new languages, but at first glance there is little documentation on syntax rules. We will check it out though.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
rowlandg

Re: Hadoop, Hive, Pig etc

Post by rowlandg »

I would urge you to move faster on this. I've been a Sapien customer for a number of years. There is no UI tool for Pig -- which is becoming the defacto standard for big data -- not only Hadoop but appliances like Teradata.

You guys are the natural fit for this.
Alexander Riedel

Anyone else here using this?
Alexander Riedel
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

It apparently only works with Teradata and TerraData is a very small player in the game.

BIG data has gone by the wayside in favor of datamart-ing and leveraging of MD data. In many shops the raw extracts are stored as text compressed and high speed loaded when a new item is needed. Most SQL designers handle MD syntaxes well. Other companies have excellent tools for Teradata semantics.

It shuold be relatively easy to create a parser for 'Pig' if the syntax is publish as Backus Naur.
rowlandg

Post by rowlandg »

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Pig is one of several Big Data technologies invented at Yahoo!, Google and other places. It has found favor at IBM and many other large companies. Because it's open source it's finding favor even in smaller businesses.

For Example:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/libra ... dataquery/
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

Yeah yeah. I know. I was working on 'big data' before the term was coined. I built a 6 Terabyte database in 1997. It was the second largest in the world at the time.

Pig is OK and I said it could be easily turned into a tool if you can find the B-N for it.
Alexander Riedel

Rowland, that was a general question to the folks following the forums here.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 10 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.