New user, struggling to understand how to connect to database

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 1 year and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
frankieg1975

New user, struggling to understand how to connect to database

Post by frankieg1975 »

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere (or here for that matter) I have tried to search for an answer but have not found anything directly related. I am new to PowerShell Studio for which I have purchased a license because it's a fantastic product. I am however struggling to understand how to connect to a database (I want to use either MSSQL or MYSQL) and while I know how to do this "programmatically" in PS I'm stumped as to how to do it graphically via PowerShell Studio. I guess I expected native tools out of the box that would make this a simple point and click exercise. Please let me know if this is available otherwise I'll continue with manual scripted connections. Very much appreciated.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: New user, struggling to understand how to connect to database

Post by brittneyr »

You can create a database connection from two locations: Database tab on ribbon or Database pane on the Object Browser panel:
SPS_DatabaseTab.png
SPS_DatabaseTab.png (22.79 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
SPS_DatabasePanel.png
SPS_DatabasePanel.png (7.44 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

When you create a connection from the Database tab, it will then be listed on the Database pane. If you are trying to run SQL files, you can then open a SQL file and set the documents connection from the ribbon:
SPS_DatabaseTab_SetConnection.png
SPS_DatabaseTab_SetConnection.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Once the connection is present and accessible on the Database pane, you can generate forms or scripts for that connection:
SPS_DatabasePane_Generate.png
SPS_DatabasePane_Generate.png (21.84 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
For more information on the Database pane, you can find it under the Object Browser section of PowerShell Studio's manual:
https://info.sapien.com/manuals/powersh ... owser.html
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 1 year and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.