Powershell Studio MSI Builder - Custom GUID

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 1 year and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
bdrumm1234

Powershell Studio MSI Builder - Custom GUID

Post by bdrumm1234 »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2020, 5.7.182
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): 5.1, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
32-bit version of software? No.

Is there any way to modify the GUID that the MSI Installer Wizard generates? I am having an issue when distributing the application, I am developing. Every time I use the MSI Builder tool and attempt to install, it states that I cannot upgrade or install the product due to another product version being installed. Please assist with this, let me know if this feature is in newer versions of the product and I will consider upgrading.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Powershell Studio MSI Builder - Custom GUID

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please provide the exact error message you see from Windows Installer.
"Another product being installed" is a different issue than "Another version of the product is installed" and other variations.
Do you increase the product version number between releases of the application? If so, please keep in mind that MSI only evaluates the first three numbers,
so 1.2.3.1 is the same as 1.2.3.2 as far as Windows Installer is concerned.
You need to always update at least the third number, e.g. 1.2.10 -> 1.2.11
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
bdrumm1234

Post by bdrumm1234 »

Receiving this error when posting links to the pictures of the errors..
Sorry. You need to have made a minimum of 5 posts before you can include external links in your posts.

Warning Message:
A newer version of this software is already installed

My currently installed version is 1.0.0.1 and my Product version for the MSI is 1.0.0.2.
bdrumm1234

Post by bdrumm1234 »

Alexander Riedel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:17 pm Please provide the exact error message you see from Windows Installer.
"Another product being installed" is a different issue than "Another version of the product is installed" and other variations.
Do you increase the product version number between releases of the application? If so, please keep in mind that MSI only evaluates the first three numbers,
Okay I will keep this in mind, maybe that is what I am doing wrong.
bdrumm1234

Post by bdrumm1234 »

bdrumm wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:52 pm
Alexander Riedel wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:17 pm Please provide the exact error message you see from Windows Installer.
Okay I will keep this in mind, maybe that is what I am doing wrong.
Yes, this was the exact issue. I feel like this is something that should be noted somewhere in the MSI Wizard or something. It is not very clear that this was the issue initially. Thank you for your quick response!!
This topic is 1 year and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.