Cachebuilder is a monstrosity

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 2 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
livefortechnology

Cachebuilder is a monstrosity

Post by livefortechnology »

Every version of PStudio the cachebuilder behavior hasn't changed. A utility who's only purpose is to parse TEXT and binary cmdlets and create a handful of TEXT files the size of a singe hires JPG (7mb) should NOT take DAYS. Perhaps it's time to recode that monstrosity?!?

And it's interesting, I find multiple other users posting identical issue over many YEARS, and you continue to simply lock the forum thread providing no solution, no workarounds.

This thing's job is to parse text and binary modules and cmdlets - nothing more, nothing less. The "list" of modules has varied over many years - it's irrelevant. So is the Powershell version and Pstudio version. You need to face that your parsing code is broken in THIS utility. It's a parser - it creates small text files of the extracted cmdlet/module's functions.

I just watched a dual-core i5 with 16gb RAM sit (after I dropped priority to LOW to ensure I could still occasionally use the laptop) for 31 hours and 19min to complete (successfully) the 64bit of PoSH v5/v7, and it is now ANOTHER 53 hours and 4min into STILL running the 32bit of 2 PoSH versions cmdlets/modules.

If you don't think the first thing I'm doing isn't to take the ten SECONDS to ZIP up the CachedData 2.1 directory so that the next time it wants to run I can kill it and restore this, you're crazy - this laptop plastic is literally on the verge of MELTING.

With everything you guys are developing, to not be able to rewrite this PARSER after this many years is baffling to me.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Cachebuilder is a monstrosity

Post by Alexander Riedel »

While we always welcome input from our customers, this however is definitely not what we could call constructive.

I will clarify some of the accusations made here. For one, your license is PowerShell Studio 2014. At least judging by the user id you post with here. There is no information on specific PowerShell version, OS or product version. So it makes it very difficult, if not impossible to explore your claims. I don't think you waited 8 years to post a complaint about PowerShell Studio 2014. Your last forum post was after all in June 2015. I cannot find any instance where your requests were prematurely closed or remained unanswered.

Forum posts lock automatically after a certain time, simply to prevent spammers from 'warming up' an old post with whatever they are trying to plant. We re-open them at a users request if there is additional information. We may sometimes overlook something, yes. But that is human. All you or any else have to do is email or post a reminder. You can find examples around here if you look. And yes, sometimes users solve their problem and walk away without replying. That is their choice. So I regard this as a completely unwarranted accusation.

Now for CacheBuilder. Its job is to load all modules on your machine, extract the exported cmdlets, aliases and types and store that in text files. That is done for Windows PowerShell and PowerShell 7, if installed.
The more modules you have installed the longer that takes, obviously. If it already knows the module and version it encounters it won't load it, it simply uses existing meta data. For reference, I have a
2 Core m3 and 16 GB in my machine and the debug version of cachebuilder takes about two minutes, with all the auxiliary output it produces. That is for Windows PowerShell, PowerShell 7, 64 and 32 bit.
Would we like to make it go faster? Absolutely. It exists in the first place because PowerShell's engine loads just too slow and live module queries are equally slow. We also want to enable users to have intellisense
for server modules that don't even exist or cannot be loaded on their development machines. That is one of the reasons why this exists and has additional tools around it.

Here is what you could do:
- Register your actual license with your user ID. Or post with the User ID associated with your license. Support eligibility is of course important.
- Post in the corresponding product forum with the requested information.
- Provide a list of your modules, get-module -listavailable piped to a file is sufficient.

Then, and only then, can we can properly investigate what your issue is and either improve CacheBuilder to address whatever happens on your machine or help you avoid your melting plastic by other means.
But we can really only do that with actual information.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 2 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.