Solved: Cannot activate PowerShell Studio 2018

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 2 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
MichaelV

Solved: Cannot activate PowerShell Studio 2018

Post by MichaelV »

Hello

I just wanted to post a solution to a problem I just faced. I meant to comment on one of the few other posts regarding this, but that option wasn't available.

When I tried to activate my PowerShell 2018 license on my new computer, I got this error:

The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

I found that I needed to enable support strong cryptography for .NET by setting a few registry values:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727]
"SystemDefaultTlsVersions" = dword:00000001
"SchUseStrongCrypto" = dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]
"SystemDefaultTlsVersions" = dword:00000001
"SchUseStrongCrypto" = dword:00000001

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/co ... t#bkmk_net

You need to restart Windows for the settings to work.

Script to set these values:
  1. $Containers = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727","HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319"
  2. $Keys = "SchUseStrongCrypto","SystemDefaultTlsVersions"
  4. foreach ($Container in $Containers) {
  5.     foreach ($Key in $Keys) {
  6.         $value = $null
  7.         if (Get-ItemProperty -Path $Container -Name $Key -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue) {
  8.             $value = Get-ItemPropertyValue -Path $Container -Name $Key
  9.             if ($value -ne 1) {
  10.                 write-host "Correcting value: '$Container\$Key' = 1" -back yellow -fore black
  11.                 Set-ItemProperty -Path $Container -Name $Key -Value 1
  12.             } else {
  13.                 write-host "OK value: '$Container\$Key' = 1" -back darkgreen -fore white
  14.             }
  15.         } else {
  16.             write-host "New value: '$Container\$Key' (DWORD) = 1" -back yellow -fore black
  17.             $Null = New-ItemProperty -Path $Container -Name $Key -PropertyType DWORD -Value 1
  18.         }
  19.     }
  20. }
Regards

Michael
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Solved: Cannot activate PowerShell Studio 2018

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Thank you for this post.
You can also use our product unlock tool specifically created for this situation.
It can be downloaded here: https://sapien.s3.amazonaws.com/downloa ... Unlock.exe
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
MichaelV

Re: Solved: Cannot activate PowerShell Studio 2018

Post by MichaelV »

@Alexander Riedel
Thank you for your reply. I didn't come across that tool in my search. But this post is now included is you search for "PowerShell Studio The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel", so now there is a chance that others will find the tool as well.
This topic is 2 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.