Huge Memory Leak crashed OS

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Huge Memory Leak crashed OS

Post by PatrickB »

PrimalXML 2016, Version 4.2.42, 64 bit software
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I had PrimalXML open with a tiny XML file for a couple hours. File was located on a UNC share. I didn't have any problems. I closed the file at some point, I think near the end of the day but not sure when, though I left PrimalXML open. Later, I got ready to leave work and closed PrimalXML itself. PrimalXML appeared to close without a problem. I locked my computer and went home. When I came back the next morning, my computer had restarted.

I looked through my Windows event logs a bit, and found a couple things pointing to a memory leak in PrimalXML as the culprit. It reached 50GB (!) in size before the crash.

I tried opening the same file in PrimalXML and repeating my steps (except for leaving PrimalXML open for hours). I have done this twice. I have been unable to replicate the memory leak.

I have software that takes screenshots of my desktop. I had task manager open last night too. You can see that when I closed PrimalXML, the RAM usage starts shooting up. I hadn't noticed it at the time. Based on those screenshots, the memory leak did not seem to start till I tried to close PrimalXML, and the leak was not something that had been building up all day. Those screenshots are attached, along with a dump of my SYSTEM event log (as both JSON and XML).

I didn't spot any native logs for PrimalXML. Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to hunt down the bug.
PrimalXML bug report
(4.93 MiB) Downloaded 181 times