WMI Explorer crashing on Vista 64 bit

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 15 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
sjcorpst

Post by sjcorpst »

I just installed Primalscript 2007 Professional (4.5.575) yesterday on a Vista Business 64-bit workstation and when I try to start WMI Explorer, I get the dreaded "WMI Explorer has stopped working...Check online for solution..." popup window. Below is the text from the Application log. I do have this system locked down somewhat so it may be a disabled service causing it, but I've looked at dependancies, etc. and don't see anything obvious. WMI service IS running though. Any ideas?

Faulting application WMIExplorer.exe, version 1.0.3247.8320, time stamp 0x4926ab80, faulting module KERNEL32.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791ada5, exception code 0xe0434f4d, fault offset 0x000000000002649d, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

As a .NET application is "should" have no problems running in a 64 bit environment. The error code you get, 0xe0434f4d has a hidden message in it: 434f4d represent the ascii codes for COM, meaning this is a managed CLR exception. And that could really be anything. Your application log should have more detail.

I would look at what current framework version you have installed, WMI Explorer is compiled to use the 2.0 framework version. It could be a permission problem accessing WMI, it is really hard to tell.

Please see if your application log provides more information.
Also, if you have access to a similarly configured 32bit installation, I would like to know if it works there.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
sjcorpst

Post by sjcorpst »

I have .NET 2.0 installed and WMI Explorer does run on my Vista 32-bit installation, just not on the 64-bit. The application log doesn't show anything more than what I included in previous post.
Alexander Riedel

Hmm, I'll find a 64bit machine tomorrow and have a look.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

It's a Vista Problem. We are working on it.
Alexander Riedel
sjcorpst

Post by sjcorpst »

I'm actually glad to hear that. I installed it here at work this AM on a Buddy's PC (64-bit Vista) and it did the same thing. At least I don't have to be worried about rebuilding my system.
Alexander Riedel

Well, WMI Explorer uses elevation, which causes it to crash on 64 bit Vista. I will remove the elevation manifest, which will make it work, you
just won't see certain WMI classes.

I am assuming that beats crashing and seeing none at all. :-)

From what I can tell this is a genuine 64 bit Vista problem and so far nothing we can do about.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

I have posted a new version of the WMI Explorer here:
http://www.primaltools.com/freetools/

It forces itself as a 32 bit application and here it runs fine under Vista 64.
It still uses elevation, which allows you to see all classed.
A 64 bit version can't use elevation (still investigating)and wouldn't show anything more from what I can tell.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
sjcorpst

Post by sjcorpst »

I will download a copy and let you know. Thanks for staying on top of this.
sjcorpst

Post by sjcorpst »

Works, thanks I'll keep using and trying out.
This topic is 15 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.