Option to Create New PowerShell File Disappears

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 1 year and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
suzecampbell

Option to Create New PowerShell File Disappears

Post by suzecampbell »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2022 (64 Bit) v5.8.206
Operating system: Windows 10 Enterprise (64 Bit) v10.0.19044.0
PowerShell version(s): 5.1.19041.1682

My company recently purchased PowerShell Studio for my machine. Once installed, it worked fine, but after a period of time, it lost all options to create any new files except for an empty form (please see screen shot). If I uninstall/reinstall PowerShell Studio, all of the new file creation options return, but then after a period of time, they disappear again.

I've searched the forums, but cannot seem to find anything similar to this. Any assistance would be appreciated, as this pretty much makes PowerShell Studio useless if I have to create files elsewhere.
PowerShellStudio_NoFileOptions.png
PowerShellStudio_NoFileOptions.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 38
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Option to Create New PowerShell File Disappears

Post by brittneyr »

All preset templates that are included with PowerShell Studio can be found here:
C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio 2022\Templates

Please verify that this folder exists with files and folder actually in it and that you have the appropriate permissions to this folder. It sounds like something on your machine is either blocking or removing these files, like anti-virus software.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
suzecampbell

Post by suzecampbell »

Thanks, Brittney! I do have the Templates, although in a slightly different path: C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2022\Templates

I do have admin access on my machine, so permissions should not be an issue. The following files are in the directory:

config_template.txt
manifest_template.xml
powershell.config.json
UniversalStarter.exe
UniversalStarter.exe.config
UniversalStarterCmd.exe
UniversalStarterCmd.exe.config
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

That is not the correct folder. The folder for preset templates is located in ProgramData, not Program Files.

Please check that this folder is there in ProgamData with the files intact.
Brittney
suzecampbell

Post by suzecampbell »

Nope - I do not have a C:\ProgramData directory. Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please note that the C:\ProgramData folder is a hidden folder. Depending on your Windows Explorer settings you may have to turn the option to show hidden folder on.
Would you mind double checking that?
Alexander Riedel
suzecampbell

Post by suzecampbell »

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply! My apologies for the delay - had a colleague out unexpectedly so work got crazier than usual. As it turns out, yes, the folder was hidden. Sorry for not checking that earlier - I usually keep my system set to always show hidden files or folders, but I'm fairly new to this company, and every time there's a Windows update, it puts my system back to default settings and hides them again. :roll: I do wonder if there's a company policy or other type of update that's hosing my PowerShell Studio settings.

I am able to see the templates folder here: C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio 2022\Templates

The folders (and one file) present are:

Comment Help
Control Functions
Control Sets
File Templates
Grid Templates
Project Templates
Property Sets
.gitignore

Thanks!
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

With the files present, can you currently see the templates when creating a new file?
Brittney
suzecampbell

Post by suzecampbell »

Hi Brittney,

Even with the files present in C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio 2022\Templates, I still cannot create a new .ps1 file. I only have the option to create an empty form. Still shows up like the original screen shot.

Thanks!
Olga_B
Site Admin

Post by Olga_B »

In order to reproduce issue in our testing environment I need more direct info about this statement:
'... but after a period of time, it lost all options to create any new files except for an empty form (please see screen shot). If I uninstall/reinstall PowerShell Studio, all of the new file creation options return, but then after a period of time, they disappear again.'
1. Could you be more specific about time period: is it hours or days or weeks?
2. How did you use Studio during that time? Did you just create single script and work with it or did you create more script/projects?
3. Are you turning off computer or just log off, or never turn off?
4. Any system upgrade ran in that time?
5. Are you closing Studio or it's always open
6. Are you the only person who is using that system?
This topic is 1 year and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.