PowerShell Studio slow/sluggish

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 3 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
JaimeBou
Has voted: 1 time

PowerShell Studio slow/sluggish

Post by JaimeBou »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: 5.7.179
Operating system: [Version 10.0.16299.2045]
PowerShell version(s):5.1.16299.1146

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***

PowerShell Studio 2020 is slow and sluggish. I did update to the latest version but that did not seem to help.

The tool is almost non-responsive; I have wait a to click on menu items at various times. Sometimes its good for a while then it slows down again.

I also installed PSS on another machine and seem to be experiencing the same performance issues.

Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you.

DO NOT POST LICENSES, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: PowerShell Studio slow/sluggish

Post by brittneyr »

What are you doing when the application slows down? Do you have a specific project or file open?

From the computer's task manager, is PowerShell Studio using more resources (CPU, memory) when it slows down compared to other programs you have running at the same time?
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
JaimeBou

Post by JaimeBou »

I did check taskmanager and PSS does not appear to be using using more resources than usual. But there are occasions where you see "Not responding" in Task Manager next to the PSS entry. I have not figured out how to past a screenshot for you to see.

I am basically opening up a script and attempting to edit or run it.

I'll click on the Run button and it just hangs and then eventually my script will run.

I tried this with other scripts as well. Even very small ones; still same issue. It's very sporadic.
JaimeBou

Post by JaimeBou »

I am a bit disappointed that no one got back to me. But I think that I figured out the issue. I hope the information here helps someone else. I deleted the *.psf.psbuild file for one of the larger scripts that I maintain and that seemed to clear up the problem.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

We are looking into this behavior, but so far, have had no luck in reproducing this. It is odd that the psbuild file was causing this behavior as that is just ini settings file for SAPIEN Script Packager. Also, this psbuild file should not have affected any scripts besides its accompanying script file. Is there any details you can provide about the psf script and psbuild file that are causing you issues?
Brittney
JaimeBou

Post by JaimeBou »

If you could be more specific, I may be able to provide you with additional information. I am not sure what "details" or information you are seeking. I did check my other scripts and so far everything is working a expected. I am guessing since I loaded the script with the corrupted psbuild file first, that provided a false assumption that the other scripts that I maintain were experiencing an issue. It seem to me that any script that I loaded after the one with the psbuild file issue seem to affect PSS regardless of what script was loaded after the fact.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I apologize if there are any misunderstandings, but we do not quite understand what you are trying to tell us.
For one, a .psbuild file, even if corrupted, would never affect PowerShell Studio, the code it generates or Windows Forms. It would only affect packaging scripts or building MSI files.
Without the file we can only guess why you thought is was corrupted in the first place.

"It seem to me that any script that I loaded after the one with the psbuild file issue seem to affect PSS regardless of what script was loaded after the fact."
We are not really clear on what you are trying to say with this. I think the only way to know is for you to actually upload one of your files to this forum or our support upload here: https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
Alexander Riedel
JaimeBou

Post by JaimeBou »

I don't have more to add. I know for a fact that when I renamed the file and the issue immediate went away. I unfortunately deleted the file.

If it happens again, I'll let you know.
This topic is 3 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.