Closing split windows

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 4 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
JProvencher

Closing split windows

Post by JProvencher »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below if you are currently using a Trial Version of the Product. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build:
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64 bit - Trial
Operating system:
32 or 64 bit OS: 64 bit Windows 10

I just installed the trial version and trying to decide if I will make the purchase. It'd be great if my employer would foot the bill, but I'm told that's a no-go. Anyway...

Being able to split windows is a very handy feature, but I cannot find how to close the extra windows once you are done with them. Is there a way? The only way I've been able to, is to close and reopen the script that I'm working on. It's kind of non-intuitive. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious?

If it doesn't exist, it would certainly be a feature suggestion. Possibly an 'X' in the corner of each window/context menu?

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Closing split windows

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I'd be happy to help you with that if you could mention which one of our products you are looking at.

If you are talking about the window splitter in PrimalScript or PowerShell Studio, that is generally closed by dragging the splitter back to the top or bottom.
That has been around in many applications for quite some time, so I am wondering if you are referring to something else.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
JProvencher

Post by JProvencher »

I thought I had posted in the PowerShell Studio forum? Anyway, what do you mean by "dragging the splitter"? When you split a window, there really should be something that tells you how to remove it, unless there was something obvious (like an 'X' in the corner or something similar). This is my first real exposure to PS Studio. I've always used Notepadd++ and VSCode.
Alexander Riedel

You do not have a license, so you are redirected to a general forum.
If you look at the original post, there is a header saying "Product, version and build:"
Please make sure for any future posts to always include that.

As for the splitter, please see attached.
splitter.gif
splitter.gif (729.12 KiB) Viewed 23130 times
Alexander Riedel
JProvencher

Post by JProvencher »

Did my previous reply get deleted? Maybe I forgot to submit it?

Anyway... Sliding the 'splitter', only hides the window and it can be unhidden. I guess it's not that big a deal unless maybe the overhead if the script is HUGE and each instance takes up an exorbitant amount of memory.

How do you split horizontally? I haven't been able to find a setting or anything anywhere. I've only been able to split vertically.
Alexander Riedel

I think first of all there is a vocabulary issue. I am not sure now what exactly you call a "splitter". Please post a screenshot.
Alexander Riedel
JProvencher

Post by JProvencher »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (81.63 KiB) Viewed 22963 times
I assumed you referred to the space between the windows as "the splitter" in your earlier reply. As you can see, my window is split vertically. I'm wondering how to split horizontally. I haven't been able to find how. Even the button you click to split the windows has a horizontal line, but it will only split vertically. At least on my system.
Alexander Riedel

It's a partial screen shot, which makes it impossible to tell if it is a vertical split or a tab group. I am assuming it is a vertical split.
I will elaborate a bit, so this may contain things where lurkers roll their eyes and go 'DUH!'. Bear with me anyway please.

Splitter handles are usually small 'grabable' handles on top of the vertical scrollbar or to the left of the horizontal scrollbar.
Splitter 1.png
Splitter 1.png (113.57 KiB) Viewed 22860 times
Generally, if you hover over a splitter handle, the cursor turns into a "splitter indicator cursor". That can have different forms, depending on the application, but it is certainly not the standard arrow or caret cursor.
splitter 2.png
splitter 2.png (13.64 KiB) Viewed 22860 times
Some applications allow a vertical AND a horizontal split, thereby creating four views into a file in one window, others, like Visual Studio only allow a horizontal split.
Splitter 3.png
Splitter 3.png (54.67 KiB) Viewed 22860 times
The prescribed way to close a splitter is to generally drag it back all the way to its origin. So a vertical splitter closes when you drag it back all the way to the left. A vertical one closes when dragged back to the top.

I was trying to find the origins of this, but there was no link readily available. So I can only tell you the back in the mist of pre-internet dawn, splitters already existed in the same fashion. I wrote an MS-DOS character based code editor back in the early 90's of the last century (sounds great, doesn't it?) that used splitters. That was an 8 bit application, if you must know.

While doing screenshots for this I also discovered that the UI library we use for PowerShell Studio has a bug. When you open, close and re-open a splitter, the scroll bar is no longer rendered correctly.
We are already on that, so no need to write it in. :D
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 4 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.