Custom Actions Crash / Uninstaller?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
DFIR-CLE

Custom Actions Crash / Uninstaller?

Post by DFIR-CLE »

To help you better we need some information from you.

Product, version and build: latest
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64
Operating system: win10
32 or 64 bit OS: 64

Hello - I just got my MSI file packaged with my staging folder and an extra ps1 script which creates my desktop shortcut. All is working well with the installation process now, but I am not able to add in another custom action below my current action named "desktop icon" (attached). Which means that upon installation, I am able to get the desktop shortcut created, but I am not able to create the action to remove it upon uninstall. Anytime I click to create a new action, my window sits for a split second then crashes. Is this something I am doing or possibly a bug?

Assuming this issue gets resolved, in an ideal situation, I would be able to create my desktop shortcut upon install and remove it with uninstall.As part of the second phase (uninstall), I would like to have an uninstall file created via the MSI, is this possible? I can't seem to find an documentation on this.

Thanks in advance!

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
mxtrinidad

Re: Custom Actions Crash / Uninstaller?

Post by mxtrinidad »

We'll be investigating the issue you're experiencing and get back to you.

Thanks
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

There is a bug when adding custom actions to an installer with SAPIEN Script Packager and our development team is working on a fix. This should be resolved in the next release (5.6.169) of PowerShell Studio which will be released soon.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

Please try the latest build of PowerShell Studio (5.6.169) and let me know if the behavior persists.
Brittney
DFIR-CLE

Post by DFIR-CLE »

Will do! Thanks for the reply!

For the second part of my question - Is there a way to create an uninstaller file for my MSI to avoid an end user having to manually uninstall? I'll go update now because that question hinges on the ability to create the second custom action. Stay tuned on my end.
DFIR-CLE

Post by DFIR-CLE »

Success! The update fixed the custom action crash bug. I was able to get my desktop shortcut installed and now it is able to be removed upon uninstall as well. Only thing left is to create an Uninstaller.msi file (if that's possible). Thanks for the update re latest version by the way, that was a really quick turnaround!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

To quietly uninstall any MSI use
msiexec.exe /x "C:\Example.msi" /qn
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 4 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.