Cannot Build Any EXE Projects PSS 2019

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
phebenstreit

Cannot Build Any EXE Projects PSS 2019

Post by phebenstreit »

Version: PowerShell Studio 2019 64bit

Upgrade from PowerShell Studio 2014 yesterday. None of the projects I have can "build", not even a brand new project.

Get the error "Error: Saving updated resources failed:110"

It was mentioned that this could be permissions, but i have tried alternate folder locations, running as administrator, different engines, bit settings, STA mode etc.

Hoping that this is something trivial, but i cannot find a way to build any projects; even brand new.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Cannot Build Any EXE Projects PSS 2019

Post by brittneyr »

This error is saying that the system cannot open the device or file specified.

Please try rebooting and see if that fixes the error. Also verify that any malware software you are running is not blocking any PowerShell Studio files.
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
phebenstreit

Post by phebenstreit »

I have rebooted. And no improvement. What file can it not find? There is no indication. It creates a bin and either x86 or x64 directory by default, but does not place any content in the folders.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

What version of PowerShell Studio are you running?
Please verify that PSBuild.exe located in the following location and isn't being blocked by a firewall:
C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2019
Brittney
phebenstreit

Post by phebenstreit »

I just purchased a new license yesterday to upgrade my 2014/15 install.

Downloaded and installed SPS19Setup_5.6.166_071519_x64

PsBuild.exe is located in that folder path. Modified date of 7/10/2019 file version 4.1.76 product version 7.5.0.0.

I don't have any reason to believe that that executable is being blocked.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

As part of the packaging process a template exe is copied to the output folder.
Since the error message is not concerning the inability to copy the template, I go with the assumption that you installation is intact.
The updating error implies that when the packager is ready to store the encrypted script in the exe's resources it is unable to do so.
As you describe it that there is no file there, I can only assume something removes it right after it gets copied there.
That smells a lot like an overeager anti-virus system, which will quarantine or eliminate any newly created executable file right away.

I would suggest to look at your anti-virus logs to see if there is anything there.
It would help to let us know what exact anti-virus system you are running.
Alexander Riedel
phebenstreit

Post by phebenstreit »

I did notice that in the application settings, the setting for the template directory was actually an invalid / or rather empty path

The path specified by default is C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio\Templates

But the "Templates" folder did not exist. I did create it … could that be it? Should there be data in that folder. Or should that "Template Directory" setting be pointed somewhere else?

Disabling my AV did not help. And nothing in the logs to suggest an issue there.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

That is not the template I was talking about. It’s not something you can configure.
What exact settings are you specifying for the packager?
Alexander Riedel
Olga_B
Site Admin

Post by Olga_B »

If you can, please zip and load up the original psf file(s), so that we can attempt to recreate the issue:
https://www.sapien.com/support/upload

Also can you add .psbuild file (it should be in the project folder after you packaged project)
phebenstreit

Post by phebenstreit »

For the package I thought i had tried most every one of the options. But i did just get 1 to actually build the executable.

The 1 that worked was:
Target: Microsoft Windows 32 Bit
Script Engine: PowerShell V3 Host (Windows Application)
Use STA: Not checked

(After it built once, not able to build again with the same settings, almost a fluke that allowed it to get built)

All other selection combos fail.
This built/executable does run differently than when it was built in Studio 2014 though. I get a Windows style window for my output and input; and a popup for my input, rather than a more seemingly powershell based output window; which i assume to be the (command line) engine options; which do not work.

Other output settings: create an application without manifest; no source control / restrictions or other settings have been changed from the default. I do at the moment have the output folder hard coded to the project path, rather than just "bin", but that hasn't seemed to make any difference.
This topic is 4 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.