161 compile no longer working

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 4 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Lembasts
Has voted: 1 time
Been upvoted: 1 time

161 compile no longer working

Post by Lembasts »

Greetings,

I also want to report that an application that Ive been running for years no longer works when compiled with 161. Its OK when you press the Run button but the exe, when launched, does nothing.

Cheers
David
Lembasts

Re: 161 compile no longer working

Post by Lembasts »

I have recompiled it with version 160 and it works fine.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Please include some details. With "does nothing" we have very little to go on.
What type of package? What platform, what OS? What Powershell version.
"Does nothing" usually does not happen in Windows. There is some type of error message? Event log entry?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Lembasts

Post by Lembasts »

I noticed that someone else posted the same thing so I figure something is up, particularly when it compiles OK with version 160 but not with 161.
By does nothing means that when I double click on the exe, nothing happens. Task manager shows nothing running. No error message and nothing in Event Viewer.
I am running Windows 10 1709 64 bit with version 5.1 of powershell.
Olga_B
Site Admin

Post by Olga_B »

If you can, please zip and load up the original file(s), and .exe file so that we can attempt to recreate the issue:

https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
Lembasts

Post by Lembasts »

Sorry but we are a defence installation and for security reasons cannot share code.
Olga_B
Site Admin

Post by Olga_B »

Ok, but at least can you provide Packager options, what are you building exe for: Windows Form, Windows Application, Service
Alexander Riedel

Again, please provide information about what kind of package you are creating. I get the "not sharing code" part, but surely it is not a secret which engine or powershell version you are packaging for.
Yes, someone else posted something "similar" but equally sparse on information and it seems to be more encoding related (with error messages) than anything else.
So I can just re-iterate what I always say at this point, the more information you provide, the less we have to come back and ask, the quicker we can help.
Alexander Riedel
Lembasts

Post by Lembasts »

Sorry - I didnt know exactly what details you wanted.
Engine is V5 Host (Windows Forms). 64 bit.
Any other settings you need?
Why I dont think its code related is because if I compile it under 161, the exe does nothing. If I compile the exact same code with the exact same settings on 160 it works fine.
This particular application has been compiled hundreds of times over the last 3 years with many versions of PS Studio and 161 is the only one to fail. Also, when pressing the Run button on 161 it works fine - its just the exe that is the problem.
Alexander Riedel

I didn't assume it was code related. But narrowing the scope where we need to look makes things go faster.
Are you dot sourcing and resolving scripts when packaging? What is the encoding of your files?
Package with the V5 command line host and see if you get any error messages that way.
Thanks!
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 4 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.