Can I View Folders in Left Nexus Window

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 17 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

How do I open a folder/file view (like Explore.exe) in the Left Nexus Window.I do not want to create a new project to do this.On a related front, can someone explain to me why I should use a project instead of just accessing files through an explorer type interface?PS: I am a Classic ASP coder.
jhicks

Post by jhicks »

If I understand your Nexus question, under Tools - Options - Environment - Nexus Windows, you should be able to select File Browser and check the Nexus area where you want it to be displayed. You may need to restart PrimalScript for the change to take effect.
donj

Post by donj »

Regarding your project question, yes.

If you build a project, then you'll have access to PrimalScript's source control and deployment commands, for example.

You can check an entire project in and out of source control with one click.

You can also deploy an entire project, or just changed files, to a test, staging, deployment, or whatever other server - all with one click. This deployment can be via file copy or FTP, depending on how you need to access each particular destination server. So it's easy to put the project into "Test" mode and push a button to deploy it to a testing server, and then into "Release" mode to deploy to production server(s).

Certain PrimalSense functionality also works across projects, rather than just within individual files, since the project supplies a way of "grouping" files which are functionally related.

There are some other pieces of functionality associated with projects; all sort of fall into the realm of "easier because it works with the entire set of files, not just one at a time."

All of this presupposes that you're not just directly editing the live files on a production Web server. Most developers would agree that doing so is a very poor practice, but some folks do it - and in that case, you're not using source control or deployment, so projects aren't necessarily helpful. Projects were intended to be helpful for implementing best practices - using source control, having separate files for dev, test, stage, production, or whatever, and so forth.
djlurch

Post by djlurch »

jhicks:Thank you. I found it!Don:Good info, thank you! I am editing files on my local machine and then manually uploading via a FTP client to the live server every time I am ready to release. This is a change from my previous FTP explorer usage on a remote testing domain. I went back and forth with Alex about this workflow for a while. Turns out he was correct!However, sometimes I do need to use the FTP explorer...and it is still flaky.
This topic is 17 years and 3 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.