Get-Help for any cmdlet not showing <CommonParameters> with -ShowWindow option

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gokulks

Get-Help for any cmdlet not showing <CommonParameters> with -ShowWindow option

Post by gokulks »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product, version and build: PowerShell HelpWriter 2017 v2.1.36
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit version
Operating system: Windows 10
32 or 64 bit OS: 64-bit

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***
Hi,

Any Get-help for the cmdlets generated using Helpwriter is not displaying <commonparameters> in the parameter section when used with -ShowWindow option. But same is displayed with used with -Full option for the same cmdlet on console.

Get-Help -ShowWindow screenshot.PNG
Get-Help -ShowWindow screenshot.PNG (33.75 KiB) Viewed 15936 times
Get-Help -Full screenshot.PNG
Get-Help -Full screenshot.PNG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 15936 times
Thanks,
Gokul

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
Olga_B
Site Admin

Re: Get-Help for any cmdlet not showing <CommonParameters> with -ShowWindow option

Post by Olga_B »

Thanks for reporting the issue.
Also need some clarification about product. Are you taking about PowerShell HelpWriter or PowerShell Help?
gokulks

Re: Get-Help for any cmdlet not showing <CommonParameters> with -ShowWindow option

Post by gokulks »

Hi Support,

I am talking about PowerShell help but as we are generating mamal using PowerShell HelpWriter we need you suggestion\clarification on the same.

I want to know is this a limitation from PowerShell help or a bug in your product.

Thanks,
Gokul
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I checked the generated xml for common parameters and it seems to be in synch with what Microsoft itself puts out. I would guess that the PowerShell team decided for one reason or another to omit common parameters when using -ShowWindow, but I would suggest to ask them directly.
As soon as I can I will put this in front of the development team to double check, but I cannot find anything wrong with the tools output at this time.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 6 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.