Packaged form project into MSI installer

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 6 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
WSUsoftware

Packaged form project into MSI installer

Post by WSUsoftware »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2017, version 5.4.143
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit
Operating system: Windows 10
32 or 64 bit OS: 64-bit

I have a form project I am packaging as an EXE that works well. Currently it references an external file(CSV) that I have to point to that my EXE calls. I realized that using an MSI installer that would copy my compiled EXE and CSV file to the programs folder would be the ideal solution, however i'm not sure how I would make essentially just a wrapper of the compiled EXE. I don't want to make a form or any type of dialog for the MSI installer, I just want it to fire off.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Packaged form project into MSI installer

Post by davidc »

I'm not exactly clear on what you are trying to achieve.

Do you want a silent install of the MSI or do you want the script executable to run without a UI?
Or do you want the installer to kick off the executable during install? (Note: This isn't supported at the moment)
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
WSUsoftware

Post by WSUsoftware »

In an ideal solution, I could just put my CSV file into the form project I have and dot source it that way. Since I will be using this on multiple computers, the cleanest way to achieve this type of functionality was in my opinion to install my compiled form project using an MSI that would also be able to copy my CSV file into the install location.

I don't need the MSI to do anything other than install the compiled project on the machine and create the CSV file in the same directory. So a blank MSI is what I'm going for.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 20
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

That functionality is build in. Just create an MSI installer for your packaged executable and add the CSV file to it.
It's on the deploy tab. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
WSUsoftware

Post by WSUsoftware »

I didn't realize it would be able to work that way. Tried it out and worked flawlessly. Thank you.
This topic is 6 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.