Must I install the entire AWS .Net distribution?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
yobyot

Must I install the entire AWS .Net distribution?

Post by yobyot »

Product, version and build:
64 bit version of product: PowerShell Studio 2016 5.2.127
Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit 10.0.14393 (aks 1607)
PowerShell Version: 5.1.14393

To use PS16 with the AWS cmdlets, must I install the _entire_ .Net SDK from AWS? (http://sdk-for-net.amazonwebservices.co ... ForNet.msi)

With PowerShell 5, I'd prefer to install-module -name awspowershell -repository psgallery. But if I remove the .Net SDK and then do that, PS16 doesn't understand any AWS cmdlets.

Today, for example, the .Net download installed 3.1.92.0 of the AWS cmdlets; psgallery offers 3.1.93.0. AWS is clearly moving to "prefer" psgallery installation. The Windows PS ISE has no trouble with the psgallery installation. Why does PS16?
DevinL

Re: Must I install the entire AWS .Net distribution?

Post by DevinL »

I was able to use the AWS cmdlets just fine on my test machine here. I fired up the VM, installed SPS 5.2.127 and ran Install-Module -Name AWSPowerShell.

After installing the module I refreshed the cache and when it completed the AWSPowerShell module was in the Object Browser[1] and the cmdlets appeared in the PrimalSense window as expected[2].

Did you happen to rebuild the cache after installing the AWSPowerShell module? You can do this by pressing the Rebuild Cache button in the ribbon[3].

[1]
AWSPowerShell_Module.png
AWSPowerShell_Module.png (62.21 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
[2]
AWSPowerShell_PrimalSense.png
AWSPowerShell_PrimalSense.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
[3]
Rebuild_Cache.png
Rebuild_Cache.png (16.43 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
yobyot

Post by yobyot »

Did you uninstall any AWS SDKs from Windows control panel and install ONLY the PowerShell Gallery module?

When I do that -- and rebuild PSS16's cache -- I get the results shown in the attached screens snippet. The PowerShell console is fine. PSS 16 has no idea what the AWS cmdlets are.
2016-08-19_10-15-23.png
2016-08-19_10-15-23.png (273.47 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

I didn't have to uninstall any AWS SDK's as there were none installed. I only ran Install-Module -Name AWSPowerShell from a fresh virtual machine and rebuilt the cache in PowerShell Studio. After trying this again, I opened the Uninstall a Program window to verify no AWS SDK's were installed alongside the module and there was nothing there:
2016-08-19_10-41-02.png
2016-08-19_10-41-02.png (167.74 KiB) Viewed 4380 times
DevinL
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Have you tried removing all references to the AWS module, including the AWS .NET SDK, and only running the Install-Module cmdlet?
DevinL
yobyot

Post by yobyot »

DevinL wrote:Have you tried removing all references to the AWS module, including the AWS .NET SDK, and only running the Install-Module cmdlet?
Marco...polo. That is precisely the question I started this thread with, If I uninstall the downloadable AWS .NET SDK and then install just the cmdlets from PS Gallery, it doesn't work.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

I must have misread your initial post where you mentioned installing the module then removing the .NET SDK.

I'll look into this more thoroughly and get back when I have some more information.
DevinL
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Let's try enabling the module using our Cache Editor which basically forces the module to appear in the Object Browser and PrimalSense. Follow these steps to accomplish this:
  1. Click Cache Editor in the ribbon
  2. Check the box next to AWSPowerShell
  3. Click Build
  4. Click Close
  5. Verify the module is in the Object Browser panel
Cache_Editor.png
Cache_Editor.png (14.73 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
AWSPowerShell_Module_Cache_Editor.png
AWSPowerShell_Module_Cache_Editor.png (30.87 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
DevinL
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Right after posting that, I noticed in your screenshot the \\Mac\Home\Documents\PowerShell path. Are you doing any of this using remote connections as opposed to all on one local machine?
DevinL
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.