The application was unable to start correctly

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
russrimm

The application was unable to start correctly

Post by russrimm »

Product, version and build:5.2.122
32 or 64 bit version of product:64 bit
Operating system:Windows 10
32 or 64 bit OS:64 bit
PowerShell Version:5.1

Every time I start PowerShell Studio 2016, I get an error from CacheManager64.exe
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."
I get the same error when I click "Check for updates", but it comes from Sapien Updates.exe instead.

It is a new installation, and I'm on a new Windows 10 Insider Preview release.
DevinL

Re: The application was unable to start correctly

Post by DevinL »

When you say it's a new installation do you mean you have never had PowerShell Studio on this machine and then when you first installed it this happened?
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Follow up question, can you provide a screenshot of the error? I've attempted to recreate this on my end with no luck doing the following:

I installed PowerShell Studio 5.1.122 on a VM with the latest Windows 10 Inside Preview release and then activated it with a product key.
I let the cache completely build, then rebuilt it since you mention the CacheManager is what caused the error.
I restarted PowerShell Studio and the VM itself then started PowerShell Studio again without any errors.

If you have any other information you could provide to help me narrow down the issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
DevinL
russrimm

Post by russrimm »

First time I've ever installed PowerShell Studio 2016 on this laptop. Error attached. When I click "Run", I get the same error but on ScriptDriver64.exe.

My Windows 10 build is 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708
Attachments
err1.PNG
err1.PNG (11.82 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Insider preview release. Please try on a released Windows 10 version. In general we cannot support betas and unreleased OS versions.
But if I had to guess, you are not having the Visual Studio 2012 runtime installed.
Alexander Riedel
russrimm

Post by russrimm »

Which Visual Studio 2012 runtime are you referring to?
Alexander Riedel

Alexander Riedel
russrimm

Post by russrimm »

Ahh C++ redist, yes I have 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013 C++ redists installed for x86 and x64. I also tried both the x86 and x64 versions of PowerShell Studio and get the same error on both. I captured with ProcessMon but haven't found anything that stands out so far. It seems to give the same error on quite a few of the .exe's in the install directory.
Alexander Riedel

Could also be that the component we use to connect to Powershell is not registered or that the PowerShell team broke something. We have heard about problems with the Tech preview builds before.
Go here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SAPIEN Debugger 2016

use an elevated prompt and try to run regasm on PWSHHelpCtrl2016V5.dll

See what it says.
Alexander Riedel
russrimm

Post by russrimm »

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SAPIEN Debugger 2016>regasm PWSHHelpCtrl2016v5.dll
Microsoft .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility version 4.6.1569.0
for Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.1569.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Types registered successfully

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SAPIEN Debugger 2016>
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.