WMI Explorer Crashing when searching

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 8 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
tbednarz

WMI Explorer Crashing when searching

Post by tbednarz »

Product, version and build: WMI Explorer 2.2.57
32 or 64 bit version of product: 64-bit
Operating system: Win 8.1 Pro
32 or 64 bit OS: 64-bit

I am trying this product for a couple of weeks now. I seems to be quite unstable on my computer, it crashes every two or three queries. There is one query, where I can reproduce the crash ALL THE TIME! See the enclosed screenshot. I am searching for 'diskspace'. It finds a couple of classes and then crashes and needs to be closed. The search can never been completed. I have also cleaned and rebuilt the cash, no success.
Attachments
Crashing_WMIExplorer2015.png
Crashing_WMIExplorer2015.png (136.05 KiB) Viewed 7887 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: WMI Explorer Crashing when searching

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Thank you for letting us know. We will investigate.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Alexander Riedel

I did a quick test on Windows 7 with the find term you indicate in your screenshot and it worked fine. I also conducted multiple searches
for 'disk', 'volume' and 'battery', just to test a few, and encountered no problems.
I will also try on Windows 8.1 and 10 later and see what happens.
Can you give us any example for the three searches that make it crash on your machine?
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

I am wondering if this a language problem. German does have characters that English does not have after all :D
Would it be possible for you to zip the cache from your machine and upload it to us here:
https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
Alexander Riedel
tbednarz

Post by tbednarz »

I can search for almost anything and it crashes! Strange, I wonder if something is wrong with my installation..... I run PowerShell Studio 2015 without problems. Here what I am doing:

First, I click under 'Find' on the search icon.
I fill in the search term, such as 'Battery', 'diskspace', 'Memory', ... I search in all namespaces. This returns a list in the result pane. I see, that is filling quite a large number of results since the scroll bar on the left gets longer and longer... Then it crashes. As a person with many years programming experience in different languages (C, C++, C#, Java, Ruby, Perl, AWK and others) I could imagine that it is sort of a buffer / memory problem . When I select fewer search scopes, e.g. only Class names, it does NOT crash!

I do not search for any german expressions, programming is english. But since my Windows is German it seems to translate descriptons and error messages to german.

Where can I find the cache file?
Attachments
select all possible search scopes
select all possible search scopes
WMI-Explorer2.png (32.75 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
get the search dialog
get the search dialog
WMI-Explorer1.png (17.57 KiB) Viewed 7830 times
Alexander Riedel

I do this search here and the peak memory size for the process is at about 60MB, which is really nothing.
Now, having said that, your WMI database can of course be vastly larger than mine here.

Look here: C:\ProgramData\SAPIEN\WMI Explorer 2015\Cache
You should see a folder with your machine name. Zip that folder and upload it please.
Alexander Riedel
tbednarz

Post by tbednarz »

Ok, mine is about 700 MB. I have zipped and uploaded it.
Alexander Riedel

That is too large to be uploaded to our site. Can you possible put it on a dropbox folder (or similar) and share the link so I can download it?
Alexander Riedel
tbednarz

Post by tbednarz »

Zipped it was around 40 MB. I got the impression the upload was successful. If not, please contact me using my email address (I am in your customer DB). I will then email you a link, where you can download it. Thanks.
Alexander Riedel

We have isolated the problem thanks to the cache information you uploaded. Basically there is a corrupted cache file because some WMI use non-standard line endings. We will correct this in the upcoming 2016 release.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 8 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.