PSBuild Compiler Question

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 8 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
pringtef

Post by pringtef »

Hello folks,

Product : PowerShell Studio 2015

I'm doing commits to GIT which then start a set of scripts which run a set of tests before my projects are deployed. For 90% of stuff, this is fine, because it's all raw powershell code.

Some projects involve me delivering an exe file though. For these ones i'd really like to make an exe at the end of the process instead of at the start.

i.e. ps studio winforms project --> compile to single ps1 file --> git commit --> Test --> Build *COMPILE HERE*

My question is if just the psbuild.exe compiler is portable for me to use on my build station? Or is my only option to use PS Studio with a license on the build server just for the command line compilation capability?

The rest of the command line utils or scripts out there are not stable enough for me to use.

thanks,

Tim
SAPIEN Support Forums

Post by SAPIEN Support Forums »

This is an automated post. A real person will respond soon.

Thank you for posting, pringtef.

Did you remember to include the following?
  • 1. Product, version and build (e.g. Product: PowerShell Studio 2014, Version & Build: 4.1.71. Version and build information can be found in the product's About box accessed by clicking the blue icon with the 'i' in the upper right hand corner of the ribbon.)
    2. Specify if you are running a 32 or 64 bit version
    3. Specify your operating system and if it is 32 or 64 bit.
    4. Attach a screenshot if your issue can be seen on the screen
    5. Attach a zip file if you have multiple files (crash reports, log entries, etc.) related to your issue.
If not, please take a moment to edit your original post or reply to this one.

*** Make sure you do not post any licensing information ***
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: PSBuild Compiler Question

Post by davidc »

PSBuild.exe requires PowerShell Studio to be installed and activated.

FYI, you can specify Pre-build commands in the packager settings:
Packager Build Commands.png
Packager Build Commands.png (37.32 KiB) Viewed 3331 times

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
pringtef

Post by pringtef »

Thanks for the details David.

IMO The community is crying out for a product that's as stable as your wrapper but that can be applied at the end of a commit and build chain.

A separate product with tools like this and maybe in the same price range as PowerShell Help for example would receive a lot of interest I think.

Something like 'PowerShell Deploy' with multiple built in connectors to your other products, GitHub/GitLab, and even build engines themselves would be great.

Jenkins, for example, allows you to have one or more build steps written in PowerShell. It would be pretty amazing if you could have a tool that would also allow connection into build engines to create or adjust scripts, it would be pretty amazing.

Anyway, just an idea, but thought i'd share it with you!

thanks,

Tim
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

The Custom Menu is a good way of running executables (and scripts) to alter open files. Although these aren't automatic.

https://www.sapien.com/blog/2015/10/01/powershell-studio-2015-new-custom-menu-features-git-template/

You can packager the scripts that modifies the file and call it via the custom menu.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
pringtef

Post by pringtef »

Thanks,

I'll take a look at this and see if i can do something with it.

cheers,

Tim
This topic is 8 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.