Unable to open files saved from Powershell Studio 2012

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 9 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
pdearmen

Unable to open files saved from Powershell Studio 2012

Post by pdearmen »

This is the last thing keeping me from upgrading to 2014 at this time. I have Powershell Studio 2014 installed (latest update as of 4/10/2014 @ 4:20pm CST - version 4.1.54)in trial mode and am trying to open up one of my files created in powershell studio 2012. When I attempt to open the files (either from file->open inside the app or right click on the file and click on "open with powershell studio"), the Powershell Stuidio 2014 application hangs and is in an unresponsive state until I close it.

It doesn't seem to matter if I try to open .ps1 or .pff files or projects - all of them hang up the application. If I can't open 2012 files that is a deal breaker for me. I have attached an example file to this - this is the actual file (no mods have been made). The files open perfectly in 2012.

This is what is logged in my event viewer

The program PowerShell Studio.exe version 4.1.54.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 25dc
Start Time: 01cf55035ba3fee9
Termination Time: 10
Application Path: C:\Program Files\SAPIEN Technologies, Inc\PowerShell Studio 2014\PowerShell Studio.exe
Report Id: ba4fce82-c0f6-11e3-827c-cc52af822d78
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

On latest updates from microsoft - issue has been occuring before the latest round of updates which were applied yesterday.

Ram: 16gb
Disk: 128 gb ssd
Running x64 version of sapien

able to reproduce on my windows 7 machine as well with the same files

Help?
Attachments
SD_65Shadow.pff
(15.83 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Unable to open files saved from Powershell Studio 2012

Post by davidc »

I'm unable to reproduce this hang up with the file you provided.

1. Are the files located in a folder where the application can't save? When you open a old pff a .psbuild file should be created in the same folder.

2. Do you have any antivirus software that might hang the application?

3. Can you create new files, save and reopen them?

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
pdearmen

Post by pdearmen »

I honestly don't know why it's not working.

The file I am trying to open is in the following path:
C:\Users\pdearmen\Documents\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio 2012\Files

I checked the ACL and the administrators group as well as my user account have full control over the folder and all files in the subfolders and files (re-propagated permissions as well)

These permissions match exactly for the path that does work
C:\Users\pdearmen\Documents\SAPIEN\PowerShell Studio 2014\Files

If i copy a file from the 2012 folder to the 2014 folder it opens without issue which is odd. I guess as a workaround I can copy the files into the 2014 folder - no idea why this is happening since my ACLs match and the application is running under my user account.
davidc

Post by davidc »

That is very strange. Maybe your Windows is in some weird state.

When in doubt, reboot.

David
David
pdearmen

Post by pdearmen »

It has been restarted a few times and same on multiple pcs. (One windows 7 and one windows 8) - I guess for now I'll just use the workaround but that still confuses me as to why it is occurring. (the windows 7 pc is not on my work domain either so its not a domain policy coming down) - I'll monitor it and see if I can find a more permanent solution but for now I guess the workaround is an acceptable answer.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Please keep us updated if you discover any new information.

Thank you,

David
David
pdearmen

Post by pdearmen »

Did some more testing - I forgot that I had version control enabled (change vue 2014 latest version) - disabled that - works perfectly now.

Now im not sure if this is an issue with powershell studio or change vue :?:
davidc

Post by davidc »

1. Are 2012 files on a different repository? From a ChangeVue 2012 repository?

2. Are there any event log messages for ChangeVue?

3. Are you still connected to the repository? Is it on a remote machine that is accessible? A possibility could be that something is timing out.

David
David
pdearmen

Post by pdearmen »

1. Are 2012 files on a different repository? From a ChangeVue 2012 repository? Brand new repo - just gave 2014 change vue a try. In fact both folders (the 2012 and 2014) are located under the same repo in the same project (i choose the parent folder which both are under as the new project in the repo using the option new from existing folder)

2. Are there any event log messages for ChangeVue? No logs at all - I kept change vue open to check while I encountered the error. Event logs still indicate as above (powershell studio erroring out)

3. Are you still connected to the repository? Is it on a remote machine that is accessible? A possibility could be that something is timing out. The repo is on a local machine. And both 2014 and 2012 folders are in the same project - 2014 continues to work and 2012 still has issues.

I'm still able to get them to open if i manually copy the files one at a time (bulk copy doesn't work for some reason???) and then open them from the 2014 folder.

I'm still using this as a work around but through i'd report as more data came in
davidc

Post by davidc »

If you can, please download PrimalScript 2014 and enable the source control with the ChangeVue 2014 provider. Then try opening a file from troubled folder and see if you also encounter an issue.

David
David
This topic is 9 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.