Local Status = Offline

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 9 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
cgrace70

Local Status = Offline

Post by cgrace70 »

I am evaluating VersionRecall and I set up the folder for my project and the repository in DropBox. I used my home PC to set everything up, but now that I am in the office using my work laptop I see the Local Status as *** Offline ***. I can open the project files, but not update the versions of the files once modified. The answer is probably staring me in the face, but I am not seeing it.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Local Status = Offline

Post by Alexander Riedel »

What are the exact folder names on both machines?
Dropbox folders are usually under a "user" folder".
If the userid is different, open the repository settings
and add the path to your dropbox folder on your WORK machine as
alternate path.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
cgrace70

Post by cgrace70 »

I believe I said it was staring me in the face. :oops: The username on my work laptop and my home PC are similar. It wasn't jumping out at me. Thanks for the help!!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

You transferred the .recall from your home computer to your work computer manually I presume?
I am just trying to figure out a way to make this easier to set up for people in the future.
I am assuming this will be a common problem :-)
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
cgrace70

Post by cgrace70 »

Hi Alexander,

I did not need to transfer the .recall file. I have two folders setup in my DropBox account. One for my code and the other for the repository.

After I configured everything from the 1st computer, I performed the following on the 2nd computer:

* I opened the .recall file changed the Service Settings so that the paths pointed to the appropriate DropBox folders on the local hard drive for the code.

* Then upon your response, I modified the Properties and added the alternative target path for the repository.

At least I did the first part right by changing the Service Settings. I just did not followup with using the Alternative Path. It works as I expect it to now. :)

Thanks very much!

Craig
cgrace70

Post by cgrace70 »

As a followup: I took this a bit further.

I used SUBST to create a redirect/virtual drive to point to the "Private" folder on DropBox. I opened up a command prompt and typed "subst X: C:\Users\xxxxx\Dropbox\Private".

I then changed all the settings in VersionRecall to point to the new drive/folder. Now, I do not have to use the alternative path in VersionRecall. The setup on both PC's will be identical.

Having said that, I also had to create two batch files. One for my home computer and one for my work computer. The drive created with SUBST is not persistent, so I put the two batch files in DropBox and then placed a link to the appropriate batch file in the "START" folder of each computer.

Code: Select all

@echo off
subst X: C:\Users\xxxx\Dropbox\Private
exit
This topic is 9 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.