Way to exclude folder? Point of exclude file presets?

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
beaker353

Way to exclude folder? Point of exclude file presets?

Post by beaker353 »

First off, great product. Looking forward to it going to full commercial status. Two questions:

How do I exclude a folder or single file from being versioned? I have a number of folders of stuff that I refer to (deep in my folders), but have no desire to have them versioned. I can't use file type, because my current files that I want versioned share the same extension. I'm sure you have that control in there somewhere, just can't locate.

Second, what advantage is there in building exclude list presets? I don't seem to be able to access the presets when I'm creating a new setup. Where else in the system would these presets be useful?

Thanks!

-EM
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Way to exclude folder? Point of exclude file presets?

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Thank you for the kind words.

The exclude presets are gonna work in the final release. It's a bug in the preview. Sorry.

Currently we have no mechanism for excluding specific files or folders deep down some tree. The assumption is that rather than adding one all encompassing folder to a repository, you would add only the folders you want version controlled individually.

Can you give us a more specific example about your setup and what you want to exclude and where? Maybe we can add a mechanism in a future release.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
beaker353

Post by beaker353 »

Lets get a little graphical below. I have a single folder with two sub-folders "A" and "B" they have their own sub-folders "1" "2" & "3". Inside them is "a"... I think you get the idea. If I want to exclude the folders "A1c", "A2b", &"B1a" from version control (mostly due in my case to the massive size of the files I'm working with), I have to create 7 individual sets to capture what I want. And when I add more folders to widen my file structure it gets even worse rather quickly.

A1a
A1b
A1c
A2a
A2b
A2c
A3a
A3b
A3c
B1a
B1b
B2a
B2b

What makes VersionRecall so attractive to me is that it's time and effort efficient to set the version control and move on to doing actual work. If I have to sift through tons of settings every time I need to add a folder to my structure, then the value of the software completely disappears. One way I could see this being done without too much coding commitment would be to expand on the "exclude file extensions" to have a file/file path section. So I would just have to list the following:

(Imagine the |'s are file directory slashes, the forum software keeps on removing them for some reason)

*|A|1|c|*.*
*|A|2|b|*.*
*|B|1|a|*.*

I can easily see at a glance what folders I'm excluding and easily add or delete paths as needed. It could even be set outside the actual application as just a text file somewhere that has a list of excluded directories. Each time the system runs, it checks the text file to see which files/folders to exclude.

This was entirely longer than I intended, but sometimes you have to get rather verbose to get all the details in.

-EM
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Hmm, I understand what the problem is. I'll see what we can work out to make this an option and to make it easy enough to manage.

Please understand that this will not be part of the initial release.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
beaker353

Post by beaker353 »

I didn't expect it would make it to the initial release, which hopefully means it is on the horizon :) .

On a side note. With additional features like these, I think you will find your customer base for VersionRecall expanding well beyond your current base. There is not a lot of software out there that does what Version Recall does. Many people in various industries will find VR very useful.

-EM
This topic is 10 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.