Service Name

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 10 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
jhicks

Service Name

Post by jhicks »

I know you don't want feature requests but I'm going to make sort of one anyway. When admins work with services from the command line, we're use to short names with no spaces like lanmanserver, bits and alerter. Having a space in the name is a a little awkward. Displayname is just fine.

It might also be handy to have a service control option in the GUI to start, stop or restart the service.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Service Name

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I don't mind feature requests. Just as long as you don't mind if I ignore them :-)

No seriously, go ahead. Let us know what you want to see.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
jasonh@interfacett.com

Post by jasonh@interfacett.com »

jhicks wrote:I know you don't want feature requests but I'm going to make sort of one anyway. When admins work with services from the command line, we're use to short names with no spaces like lanmanserver, bits and alerter. Having a space in the name is a a little awkward. Displayname is just fine.

It might also be handy to have a service control option in the GUI to start, stop or restart the service.
He JEff, I didn;t understand the "spaces" thing -- can you give me an example.
jhicks

Post by jhicks »

Jason, most service names since the days of NT are things like bits, lanmanserver or lanmanworkstation. Run Get-Service and you'll see the service names I'm talking about. In most admin situations it is this name which we use to control the service from the command line. However, some vendors have started introducing long service names that are essentially the same as their display name. Those become more awkward to work with.

Personally, I would prefer a service name like vrsvc or even versionrecall instead of the current "VersionRecall Service"
This topic is 10 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.