Powershell 3.0 in Powershell Studio 2012

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 11 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
espen.haugen@sparebank1.no

Post by espen.haugen@sparebank1.no »

I have updated the Powershell version too version 3.0, but the version
Powershell Studio uses is version 2.0.
How can I make Powershell Studio to use the 3.0 version instead of 2.0?

Powershell ISE use the updated version (3.0).
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

PowerShell version 3 has not been released. Please understand that we cannot support betas or unreleased versions of any language or engine. When PowerShell V3 is actually released we will issue an update to PowerShell Studio as soon as possible.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
coder12345

Post by coder12345 »

hello, powershell 3.0 has been released: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=34595. Do you guys have an estimates on updating Powershell Studio 2012 to support it?
Alexander Riedel

Soon. Windows 8 has not really been released yet and the PowerShell release struggles with some "issues" that still give us headaches.
We are working on it as fast as we can...
Alexander Riedel
StupidSexyFlanders

Post by StupidSexyFlanders »

Windows 8 has been released to manufacturing for a couple weeks now and PSv3 has been fully released (and officailly supported) for W7 and even Windows Server 2008. Is there at least a beta/preview/optional update to allow PSv3 usage? Even PowerGUI works with PSv3 (i.e. recognizes the cmdlets) by a simple config file edit, and its last update was over seven months ago (Feb 2012).
Mike
Alexander Riedel

RTM is not a public release. The Windows 8 release date is October 26 2012.

PowerShell V3 may have been released but still has serious bugs. The issues we encounter are classified as "show stoppers" as far as we are concerned. As I have stated in the past, we do not support beta, pre-release or preview versions of any language or platform.
We are working with Microsoft and some of the PowerShell MVPs to get these issues addressed as quickly as possible.

Most of our customers rely on our tools to work in a production environment, so we will not release any version that does not qualify for that purpose.

If you follow our blog (http://www.sapien.com/blog/) you will see announcements about V3 support and releases there.
Alexander Riedel
StupidSexyFlanders

Post by StupidSexyFlanders »

The reason people are pushing for this is *because* they rely on it in production environment (i.e. currently released versions of Windows) . We are not asking for you to jump the curve and support some beta OS. We are wanting PowerShell Studio 2012 to work with PowerShell v3 (release over three weeks ago) and Windows 7 and/or W2k8 SP1 R2 (both released several years ago).

If there are such serious bugs with *PowerShell v3*, they are not mentioned in the Sapien blog. In fact, there appear to be only two posts addressing v3 at all. The bugs mentioned are described as "minor" and the other is apparently only reproducible in a unreleased OS (Windows 8). I just downloaded and installed the V3 ISE on W7x64 Enterprise and could not reproduce the issue. I am getting the impression that the bug is not with PowerShell, but with PowerShell Studio 2012.
Mike
Alexander Riedel

Actually the breakpoint bug is a showstopper. Confirmed by Microsoft and all the MVPs. The bug is in the very engine of PowerShell and not limited to the ISE. The post mentions Windows 8 but the bug is easily and consistently reproduced on any current Windows platform that can run V3. You are welcome to stop by the office and I will demonstrate :-)

Three weeks is nothing in terms of development cycles. Basically you are asking us to release a V3 version for PowerShell Studio the day Microsoft released V3. That would require us to dismiss any testing and verification.
I am sure you can appreciate that we are hestitant to do that.
Alexander Riedel
jasonh@interfacett.com

Post by jasonh@interfacett.com »

Thanks for the info regarding V3 support. As someone that does use PowerShell in production, I'm waiting for the bugs fixes at GA next month before I implement. The Help files for V3 aren't even finished yet. Keep us informed about the progress regarding Studio - looking forward to the update.
cmilton61

Post by cmilton61 »

Any update on V3 support? I've been having to work out of the new Powershell ISE; which is actually quite nice. Any update on the release of a manual? I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to not have a solid help file, to go to when I have a question. My only options are to post to a board, or call customer support. :(
This topic is 11 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.