scheduled script fail!

Batch, ASP, JScript, Kixtart, etc.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 13 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
silver_rocco

scheduled script fail!

Post by silver_rocco »

Good evening and hi!I have been managing a small team doing a windows 7 migration of many 1000's of pc's.One member of the team has been accused of wrongly uploading to a .csv file and deliberatly corrupting a script which runs every night.I have little scripting knowledge, and all we have been asked to do is upload around 20 - 25 user login id's per night.this is cut and pasted into a .csv file, and also the password is changed nightly in another .csv file.the script then runs at 18:15 and changes all the pasted user i.d's to the chosen password.this then makes data migration easier.The other night went as planned i checked the .csv file and it contained no empty lines or strange characters.A call came into us that around 12pm that around 1000 users had their passwords changed to our password!! how could this be possible from a csv file? help please
silver_rocco

scheduled script fail!

Post by silver_rocco »

Good evening and hi!I have been managing a small team doing a windows 7 migration of many 1000's of pc's.One member of the team has been accused of wrongly uploading to a .csv file and deliberatly corrupting a script which runs every night.I have little scripting knowledge, and all we have been asked to do is upload around 20 - 25 user login id's per night.this is cut and pasted into a .csv file, and also the password is changed nightly in another .csv file.the script then runs at 18:15 and changes all the pasted user i.d's to the chosen password.this then makes data migration easier.The other night went as planned i checked the .csv file and it contained no empty lines or strange characters.A call came into us that around 12pm that around 1000 users had their passwords changed to our password!! how could this be possible from a csv file? help please
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

scheduled script fail!

Post by jvierra »

Hi - WOW! A lot of upgrades.

#1. Not enough information to determine what happened or why.
#2. Puting passwords into a file is probably not a good idea.
#3. Without some idea about how your scripts are scheduled or what they contain it is probably impossible to provide an answer.

You say: "and also the password is changed nightly in another .csv file." Is this the file that changed the password?

I suspect that you do not know scripting and that you are probably not technical or certified in WIndows. Perhaps you are a manager. I suggest either getting together with your Domain Admins and having them do an analysis of the log files along with a look into the CSV files. You may also want to call in a consultant if you suspect that someone is trying to hijack your passwords.

jvierra2011-03-04 14:23:19
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

scheduled script fail!

Post by jvierra »

You are still being extremely vague. Without specifics no one will be able to diagnose the issue.
Saying "then gone on and done some strange stuff after" tells us nothing at all.

YOu really need someone with Windows training to look into the logs and the scripts to see what is happening.

If you post the scripts perhaps we can start there.
silver_rocco

scheduled script fail!

Post by silver_rocco »

you just trying to sell stuff?i would rather change 20 passwords manually every night...for our convenience of migration.the user has to reset the password in the morning when they have migrated to windows 7
silver_rocco

scheduled script fail!

Post by silver_rocco »

you talk total sh*te
This topic is 13 years and 3 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.