ActiveX object stops working after Windows 7 upgrd

Batch, ASP, JScript, Kixtart, etc.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 13 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
gning

Post by gning »

I have this WSH script that I used for a long time on an old computer (Windows 2000!). It calls a third-party ActiveX control to handle the task of reading an image file to determine its width and height. I moved the script to a new Windows 7 machine, and it no longer works -- the "new ActiveXObject(name)" line now bombs out with "Automation server can't create object". I have installed the ActiveX DLL and Regsvr32'd it with apparent success.

I assume that the problem is security -- Windows 7 has to be reassured that the unknown DLL is safe, or something. How do I persuade it to use this ActiveX object?

Or maybe what I need to do is replace it with something newer. Does anyone know of an up to date way for a Windows 7 WSH script to measure the dimensions of a GIF or JPG image file?
gning

Post by gning »

I have this WSH script that I used for a long time on an old computer (Windows 2000!). It calls a third-party ActiveX control to handle the task of reading an image file to determine its width and height. I moved the script to a new Windows 7 machine, and it no longer works -- the "new ActiveXObject(name)" line now bombs out with "Automation server can't create object". I have installed the ActiveX DLL and Regsvr32'd it with apparent success.

I assume that the problem is security -- Windows 7 has to be reassured that the unknown DLL is safe, or something. How do I persuade it to use this ActiveX object?

Or maybe what I need to do is replace it with something newer. Does anyone know of an up to date way for a Windows 7 WSH script to measure the dimensions of a GIF or JPG image file?
gning

Post by gning »

I've contacted the maker of the DLL to ask if they know of any incompatibility with Windows 7.
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

Editong the path for this in the registry may not be a vrey good idea as it's effect would be global.

Yes - No activex controls will run correctly in a 64 bit session unless they have been built correctly.

Glad you found the problem. Checking first with the vendor of a third party tool is usually quickest.

gning

Post by gning »

What really amazes me is, given that this problem is both quite simple and quite general, and therefore should have bitten lots of people... how utterly impossible it was to find any useful information about it by prolonged web searching.
This topic is 13 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.