Just a beginner with a question

Anything VBScript-related, including Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI, and more.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 15 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mega_newbie

Post by mega_newbie »

Hello all,

I have just begun learning VBScript (and programming all togeather)
Im hoping to Utilize VBScript and WSH
I support a small number of PC users and wanted to expand my knoweledge to help my users and myself.

I really enjoy the syntax of VBScript...

My question is....

I see alot of talk about PowerShell and .NET stuff.......

is VBScript soon to die?
Would it be wiser to learn a different language?
mega_newbie

Post by mega_newbie »

Hello all,

I have just begun learning VBScript (and programming all togeather)
Im hoping to Utilize VBScript and WSH
I support a small number of PC users and wanted to expand my knoweledge to help my users and myself.

I really enjoy the syntax of VBScript...

My question is....

I see alot of talk about PowerShell and .NET stuff.......

is VBScript soon to die?
Would it be wiser to learn a different language?
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

VBScript will remain usable for many years.

Much of the answer would have to do with what you will need scripting for. If you are gong to be servicing WS2008 and Exchange 2007 then you should learn PowerShell. If you are running mostly WS2000/3 and Exchange 2000/3 then vbscript will do just fine.

If you are just starting out I suggest learning the basics of vbscript for a bit while studying PowerShell on the blogs and forums. Once you have some programming experience you will be able to make a more informed decision on your own.

jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

YOu can still admin them but all effort is now using PowerShell becuase it is more secure. Many things will not be documented. Experienced VBscripters and admins will probably be able to figure it out but some things will force you to use PowerShell due to security settings.

You can't have both compatibility and security anymore. We have to choose one or teh other. Most opt for security and bite-the-bullet on the learning.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

PowerShell doesn't run "inside" the CLR. The CLR is a runtime library, a collection of assemblies and has no security implications whatsoever. That would imply that native C++ applications are less "secure" than managed C# applications. If anything, the opposite is the case. Besides, you can easily host VBScript (or any other ActiveX language) from C# or VB.NET using the CLR.
No new language has ever completely "removed" or made obsolete anything before it. Remember how Java "replaced" all other programming languages :-), specially C++ ?

PowerShell is a shell. Running it's commands from VBScript (or any other language) is always possible, just like running a "dir" command is possible. ActiveXPosh not a "hack", it is a natural extension of what folks already do. We just made it a bit easier and it is more powerful because PowerShell is a more powerful shell than CMD.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that PowerShell is not good or not worthwhile learning. All I am saying is that VBScript is a scripting language, it's easy to learn and to use. PowerShell is a shell.
It's use as a scripting language is quite a bit harder to learn for a novice.

The "soon" part is always relative. I think we have both been in this industry long enough to know that "soon" for early adopters means something different than "soon" means to corporations ;-)

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 15 years and 7 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.