Scripting NTFS Perms IIS7

Anything VBScript-related, including Windows Script Host, WMI, ADSI, and more.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 16 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
sam.e

Post by sam.e »

Hi all,I was wondering how would I access setting NTFS permissions for the IUSR with IIS7 using VBscript? I've read that it is completely different than the annoying ways for IIS6. I think it probably involves some setting in web.config or applicationhost.config but I wasn't sure how to access the section or what it was called even.Any help would be great!Thanks!Sam
sam.e

Post by sam.e »

Hi all,I was wondering how would I access setting NTFS permissions for the IUSR with IIS7 using VBscript? I've read that it is completely different than the annoying ways for IIS6. I think it probably involves some setting in web.config or applicationhost.config but I wasn't sure how to access the section or what it was called even.Any help would be great!Thanks!Sam
jvierra
Answers: 30
Has voted: 4 times
Been upvoted: 33 times

Post by jvierra »

Sam - your request doesn't make much sense. Can you describe what permissions you need to set.

IUSR is an account onn IIS that is ussed to proxy for the anonymous web user. It doesn't have any NTFS permissions.

IE7 has little to do with IUSR_machine account or with IISx.

donj

Post by donj »

Folder permissions are set exactly the same way regardless of the IIS version you're using. IIS7 still uses the IUSR_* account (by default) to represent anonymous users; it still respects whatever NTFS file permissions are assigned to IUSR_*. Permissions are set on the files and folders, not through web.config or any other configuration file; IIS7 doesn't track file and folder permissions - it simply respects whatever permissions are set in Windows on those files and folders.
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

I believe what may be confusing you is that ASP.NET uses teh "web.config" file to set the conditions and parameteres used for "authentication" providers. These values are settable via the WMI IIS provider is some cases. In other cases you can do direct updates to the config files via script assuming uyou are rnning from an account with proper permissions.. Chanhes to the web.config file tak affect immediately and cause a restart of the application instance.

Another area that can be confusing is that IIS5/6 use the metabase for many things to do with security and account control. IIS7 chnafges this inmany ways.

Also note tahat IIS7 can run as IIS6 "compatible" or as IIS7 as it can load either app environment. This accounts for much of the extendibility of IIS7. It is worth getting famiiar with this. See the IIS blog at: http://www.iis.net/default.aspx?tabid=1
jvierra

Post by jvierra »

DOn't thnk there is a generic modify. I think it is write + delete.
This topic is 16 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.