Datagridview Sort Columns

Archived support forum for customers who once purchased a PrimalForms product license. This forum is locked.
This topic is 11 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
wallen

Post by wallen »

I can't seem to find the SortMode property for the DataGridView form. So, my next guess was to use the "ColumnHeaderMouseClick" and assign it to a script block for sorting. Unforunately the examples on MSDN for the Sort Method are only in C# aned VB: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 8ft3z.aspx So, not being a programmer... I'm not sure how to translate these examples into powershell code. Basically, I have 2 columns in a datagridview. I'm trying to get the columns to sort by clicking header coumn 1 (toggles acsending / decending by column 1 data) or by clicking column 2 toggles acsending / decending by column 2 data) A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks. (PS. Still waiting for the spotlight on the datagridview control on your blog... sorting columns and jumping to a cell by typing the first few letters would be some cool tricks to include! - Thanks )
lbrown

Post by lbrown »

This is something that I am very interested in as well..
wallen

Post by wallen »

This is what I got so far: ----------$SortToggle = 0$SortColumn_Click={ if (($SortToggle % 2) -eq 0){ $datagridviewResults.Sort($datagridviewResults.Columns[e.ColumnIndex], ListSortDirection.Ascending) } else{ $datagridviewResults.Sort($datagridviewResults.Columns[e.ColumnIndex], ListSortDirection.Descending) $SortToggle++ }}---------------I stole this from here:http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile ... perations/ Which I believe was in C++The problem is the [e.ColumnIndex]... I'm not sure what PrimalForms is sending the parameter from the event-property "ColumnHeaderMouseClick" back as. Obviously, it ain't "e".
wallen2012-03-21 13:51:12
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

e is just a name. It's the the event parameter.

In PowerShell a C# line like
DataGridViewColumn oldColumn = dataGridView1.SortedColumn;

translates to
[DataGridViewColumn] $oldColumn = $dataGridView1.SortedColumn

Note that the types are expressed differently and variables, unlike in PowerShell, have no designating character like '$'.

Using properties and methods follow the same notation, <object>.property or <object>.method()

You have a form variable for your control declared within PrimalForms, so that is what you use for <object>.

In an event handler $_ is the underlying event parameter, so

[DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs]$_.ColumnIndex

or so should get you what you need.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
wallen

Post by wallen »

This:---------$SortColumn_Click={ if (($SortToggle % 2) -eq 0){ $datagridviewResults.Sort([DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs]$_.ColumnIndex, ListSortDirection.Ascending) } else{ $datagridviewResults.Sort([DataGridViewCellMouseEventArgs]$_.ColumnIndex, ListSortDirection.Descending) $SortToggle++ }}---------- Doesn't work either.$DatagridviewResults is the variable name of the form.The Event "ColumnHeaderMouseClick" is assigned to the scriptblock $SortColumn_Click.I'm calling the method sort(), which requires the columnindex and sort order as paremeters. Like you said: <object>.method() - which in my case should be $DatagridviewResults.sort(), right? or am I way off base? Thanks for the replies!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I don't know what you named your variables :-)

Why don't you try with a simple example:

$datagridviewResults.Sort(0, ListSortDirection.Descending)

To sort on column 0 (or any number you choose).

There may be more casting involved here, but the resident PowerShell forms expert isn't back until Monday.

Alexander Riedel2012-03-21 16:15:53
Alexander Riedel
wallen

Post by wallen »

I'll try that, but I really don't have a variable defined... I was expecting some pre-defined variable coming from the event trigger (which I was hoping was "e" as some sort of standard).
Edit: Here is the output:>> Platform: 32Bit (STA)
ERROR: Missing expression after ','.
NVDOT.pff (51): ERROR: At Line: 51 char: 31
ERROR: + $datagridviewResults.Sort(0, <<<< ListSortDirection.Ascending)
ERROR: + CategoryInfo : ParserError: (,:String) [], ParseException
ERROR: + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingExpressionAfterToken
ERROR:

>> Execution time: < 1 second
>> Script Endedwallen2012-03-21 16:22:30
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Try the following: $datagridviewResults.Sort($datagridviewResults.Columns[$_.ColumnIndex],
'Ascending')Note: If you are using DataSource Property, the sorting only works with certain types, such as a DataTable from a database query.If you manually add the rows to the grid, then you will need to create a SortCompare event handler. Unfortunately sorting rows in a DataGridView is not trivial. David
David
lbrown

Post by lbrown »

I would love to see a basic scenario like: Get Service information from a computerSort depending on the column header clicked. That would bring it all together...
wallen

Post by wallen »

Try the following:

$datagridviewResults.Sort($datagridviewResults.Columns[$_.ColumnIndex],
'Ascending')

Note: If you are using DataSource Property, the sorting only works with certain types, such as a DataTable from a database query.If you manually add the rows to the grid, then you will need to create a SortCompare event handler. Unfortunately sorting rows in a DataGridView is not trivial. DavidWell, I guess I am manually adding the rows because the grid is created from a CSV file. I get the following error when clicking the header: ERROR: Exception calling "Sort" with "2" argument(s): "DataGridView control must be bound to an IBindingList object to be sorted."
This topic is 11 years and 11 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.