PowerShell cannot be instantiated Error

Archived support forum for customers who once purchased a PrimalForms product license. This forum is locked.
This topic is 12 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
damonwelch

Post by damonwelch »

I have just upgraded to PrimalForms 2009 1.1.16.0 with Powershell 1 installed locally. I have been successfully compiling executables with previous versions and these have been running fine on machines with both PS1 and PS2 installed. However since the upgrade any compiled executables fail to run on machines with Powershell 1 installed giving a messagebox error of "PowerShell cannot be instantiated". The exes however work on machines with Powershell 2 installed. So it appears there has been a bug introduced with version 16. Please can you confirm and possibly fix?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

The newer packager engines are dependent on PowerShell v2, since they rely on features that are not available in version 1.Sorry for the inconvenience, but PowerShell v1 is no longer supported.David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
damonwelch

Post by damonwelch »

The previous version supported Powershell 1. Therefore why have Sapien withdrawn support for a major feature part in a dot (minor) release of PrimalForms 2009? This seems to be a rather strange approach in software development, I can understand withdrawing support for features with a major releases like PrimalForms 2011. But when a minor release pulls support for a major feature without notice that seems very, very odd.

We have products deployed to production on clients with Powershell V1 installed using PF2009, they also use other products which have dependencies on PS1, rolling out PS2 will break those. So we are now stuck.

1. I need practical solution and not a glib "sorry PS1 is no longer supported" answer.

2. If you have withdrawn support can I have access to the previous version which did work for us? As version .16 is the only one available for use.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Since PowerShell version 2 is compatible with the same OS versions as PowerShell V1 was and PowerShell V2 is available for free, there is absolutely no benefit for us or our customers in supporting an outdated version.
PowerShell V2 was released approximately two years ago and we supported V1 for about a year. Literally no one else that we are aware off has stayed on PowerShell V1 and we had many customers write us posts like you just did because we moved too slow to V2 for their taste.

Having said all this, is there any particular reason why you don't just update your machines to PowerShell V2?
Alexander Riedel
damonwelch

Post by damonwelch »

We are a corporate customer. Please can you answer my specific questions.
Alexander Riedel

1. PowerShell 1.0 is not supported and we will not reinstate support for this version of PowerShell.

2. I'll check if there is on older build available. What specific build did you have installed previously?
Alexander Riedel
damonwelch

Post by damonwelch »

We need version .14.

You have still not answered my question about pulling Powershell 1.0 support without notice in a minor dot release of the code. Frankly your blunt statement that you will not fix a broken feature in a previous minor dot release is unacceptable, and unconventional. We paid for this software in good faith that it supported PS1 and it is now broken.

We will be closely questioning our future purchases of this and all other Sapien software going forward due to the poor level support given here.
Alexander Riedel

I will try to get this version sent to you.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

The version you requested is available on our web site in the downloads section.
Go to www.sapien.com and select Downloads from the top menu.
Navigate to the "Support Files" folder
Download "PrimalForms2009-1.1.14.exe"

Please note that you must manually uninstall any later build you may have installed prior to installing this build.
Alexander Riedel
damonwelch

Post by damonwelch »

Downloaded, thanks.
This topic is 12 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.