Custom Assemblies in Primal Forms

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 14 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
scotthawks

Post by scotthawks »

I have a custom .dll file what was built for us by a developer for one of our internal products. I can access the .dll from powershell script or console just fine. however, when i try to access it from primal forms, it says it can not see the file. do assemblies have to have strong name to be seen by primal forms? if not, why won't it see my assembly?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

What type of dll is it? Is it a .NET Assembly?
If it is a .NET Assembly, then it has to be loaded using its fully qualified name and not just by its file path. This is the case because an assembly can be installed in any number of locations on different machines.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
scotthawks

Post by scotthawks »

Does it have to be part of the GAC to load that way?? The .dll is an assembly, but is not part of the GAC, and currently can't be added to GAC because it doesn't have strong name. If it doesn't have to be part of GAC, how do i load it?
davidc

Post by davidc »

Yes, it has to be part of the GAC to load. Is there a reason why a strong name can't be added?

David
David
scotthawks

Post by scotthawks »

We didn't develop the .dll. a third party vendor did. i have a request into him to do this, but he usually takes a while to get things done. I would be happy to do if i knew how.
davidc

Post by davidc »

Can you copy the custom assembly into PrimalForms directory and it will allow the application to load the assembly.
David
David
scotthawks

Post by scotthawks »

That worked. Why? How can i deploy this without registering the dll?
davidc

Post by davidc »

It has to do with the way .NET handles assemblies. If the assembly is not in the global cache, it will look for the file locally. We are looking into making it easier for users to use custom assemblies.

As for deploying, if you create a package exe, you simple have to make sure the assembly is in the same folder as the packaged exe.
David
This topic is 14 years and 2 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.