Suggestion: XML breadcrumbs

This forum can be browsed by the general public. Posting is limited to current SAPIEN license holders with active maintenance and does not offer a response time guarantee.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST LICENSE NUMBERS, ACTIVATION KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.

Any code longer than three lines should be added as code using the 'Select Code' dropdown menu or attached as a file.
This topic is 14 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

I'd like to suggest (what I hope is a small) feature for PrimalXML - a breadcrumb string in some sort of status bar. This would simply have the path for whatever element the cursor is in.

It would show something like:

/project/configuration/settings

If I'm in the settings element of the below XML doc:

<project>
<configuration>
<settings>
<setting1>xyz</setting1>
<setting2>123</setting2>
</settings>
</configuration>
</project>

Bonus points for making PrimalXML navigate to the apprpriate element if the breadcrumb is clicked on (similar to the Vista file system explorer breadcrumbs).

I know I can get the same information from the tree, but it would be nice to have the infomration in a concise, easy to get-at-a-glance form.

Note that this type of status info exists in nearly every other hierarchy navigator (file system explorers, registry editors, etc.). It would be a natural fit for PXML.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Hello,

If you hover the cursor over an element or attribute, it will display the object's XPath. The only difference is that it appears on a tooltip instead of the status bar.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc

Post by davidc »

If you wish to select the current element you simple have to click on the element name in the Element View panel.

David
David
mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

If you hover the cursor over an element or attribute, it will display the object's XPath. The only difference is that it appears on a tooltip instead of the status bar.

Thanks for the tip. I'd still like my request to be considered as it may help when keyboarding around instead of mousing around (and you'd get the bonus of having the XPath for the current element in a status bar and be able to see the XPath for some other element in a tooltip for quick-n-dirty comparision).

If you wish to select the current element you simple have to click on the element name in the Element View panel.

I'm not sure if this is another tip (and it is a useful tip) or if it's intended to be a suggested alternative to breadcrumb navigation. If the second, then it's not an alternative because it doesn't help with quick, direct navigation to the elements in the heirarchy above the current element.

I know there's the "Go to Parent Element" button & shortcut, and that's a workaround, but it would still be a bonus if there would be a way to just click on a component of a breadcrumb path to navigate immediately to a particular ancestor element.

I've gotten used to breadcrumb navigation in file managers, and it seems a natural for XML navigation as well.
mwb11002009-06-18 15:36:42
davidc

Post by davidc »

We will add it in as soon as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions,

David
David
This topic is 14 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.