[PSS 2016] Configurable paths and Manageability

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 8 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[PSS 2016] Configurable paths and Manageability

Post by Bosparan »

Hi Gals and Guys,

another request, and this time I think a smaller-sized one :)

I'd like some more flexibility in defining paths, a new path and ways to centrally administrate some of the configuration information in PSS.

The current Path Situation
Configurable Paths:
- User Default Files Directory
- User Default Project Directory
- User Template Directory
- Custom Snippet Directory

"Unchangeable" Paths (yes, I know, symbolic links are handy):
- User Snippet Directory

System Paths (that obviously should not be touched):
- System Template Directory
- System Snippet Directory

Paths as I would like them
Configurable Paths:
- User Default Files Directory
- User Default Project Directory
- User Template Directory
- User Snippet Directory
- Custom Template Directory
- Custom Snippet Directory

System Paths:
- System Template Directory
- System Snippet Directory

Benefits:
This allows more freedom in configuration and uniformity in design. Moreover, it allows moving the User Snippet directory out of AppData, making it easier to move it to somewhere where files are backed up (AppData should not be redirected, so places with local installations, no roaming profiles and no client backups would thus not have backups of personal snippets unless they added a custom backup solution just for it. Yes, it would be a good idea to have some of it, but that's not always the case by a long shot.).
A Custom Template Directory would allow a user having both shared and un-shared templates.

Added Manageability
I'd like to be able to manipulate some of PSS's settings by Registry Keys (And thus Group Policy):
- Force Username (explicitly or by LDAP Property)
- Force Company Name (explicitly or by LDAP Property)
- Default "Default Files Directory" (user can change it afterwards)
- Default "Default Project Directory" (user can change it afterwards)
- Default "Custom Template Directory" (user can change it afterwards)
- Default "Custom Snippet Directory" (user can change it afterwards)
- Force "Custom Template Directory" (user cannot change it)
- Force "Custom Snippet Directory" (user cannot change it)
If you're willing to throw in the registry checking logic, I'm more than willing to build the GPO extension :)
I know, I already can set a few things by registry (like force custom snippet directory), but the majority cannot be done right now.

Cheers,
Bosparan
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: [PSS 2016] Configurable paths and Manageability

Post by davidc »

As always thank you for the feedback. I added the requests to the wish list and will bring it up with the team.

If any other person would like to see this type of feature in PowerShell Studio, please let us know.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 8 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.