Feature request: word wrap

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mattyusa

Post by mattyusa »

Hi I would like to slip in a generalization. Feel free to dismiss it if you wish.Since it is obvious that many want it, why not provide it (off by default) then less people will walk away from the product that keeps you in a job? Regardless of if they shouldn't or shouldn't use the it.Honestly, it is a frustration for me. I have looked for and am still looking for alternatives closer to the 'perfect' for me. I don't work in a code house, I haven't heard of many coding standard practices (but am willing to learn). Perhaps I represent (as others) another market segment you didn't aim at or for but is here helping you post profits none the less. I do clean/alters others code. I need it most then. But can I win an debate with you about what practice is best... no. Am I going to try... no. Would I have looked for alternatives to SAPIEN if it had had this feature... no. Will I look for alternatives so long as it isn't here... yes.Would I abandon SAPIEN totally because of this, not with the alternatives I've currently found (I'm still looking guys)... they are developing as is SAPIEN (truly a great editor for me guys, but I'd really, really like the soft word wrap).Now ask, are other users doing the same? How would you know? Big percentage, small percentage? Is there only a few features you are leading the way with or many? For which market segments? The targeted ones or the ones you happened to hit anyway. And so on.Encouraging to hear of the advancements in the other editors within SAPIEN, but I'd still like it in the dynamic version (the code editor, right?). I realize now it would be a larger undertaking for you than I had imagined. Perhaps more than you can justify. But here is hoping you find the path other editors did and add it to your current wonderful feature line up.Obviously I'm arguing for development resources to be committed (no expense to me) to one little thing I (and others) want. The decision is yours. Hope you conclude it at least worth targeting for future versions. It'd make a big difference to at least me and as many others in the same camp. Regards of what is right and wrong practice.
I should argue that I do consider Primal Script 'worth' the money I paid despite being dissapointed over this feature. I willl continue to use it happily. However would I look for this feature, hestitate, pause and look for alternatives befoe upgrading because it still lacked this feature. Yup, sorry I would. Doesn't mean what I have isn't excellent. Merely not as well suited to my needs as I need.MattyUSAmattyusa2009-10-09 21:05:26
abqbill

Post by abqbill »

We understand that word-wrap does not insert permanent new-line characters. Doing that is generally called 'reformatting' or "code beautifier" and is mainly implemented to NOT break anything but enhance readability and adherence to coding standards.

I have not seen any argument here that would point out any usefulness in word-wrapping code.Hi Alex,(scratching head quizzically) Seriously? No disrespect intended, but you really don't understand why virtual line wrapping would be useful with certain kinds of files? (Remember that your audience is admin scripters, not professional developers.)Bill
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Hi Bill.

No offense taken :-) I understand that it is helpful for some types of files. And if you followed the thread you see that we are going to add something for that.

It's just that I don't understand it for code. I have never seen anyone pointing to word-wrapped code and say: "Here. This is better" I have seen lots of ASP code that was edited word wrapped and was completely out of shape and not working.

Basically the question for us here at this time is:
- Do we go through the expense of adding word-wrap to the code editor and no one but a small minority will use it?
- Do we add a good code reformatter that enables you to
reformat any code you get to your standards?

Generally we all always make assumptions when talking about features. Any feature. I jumped into this thread well knowing it would draw some heat :-)

It is really important to understand why a requirement exists. There are maybe a dozen people in this thread 'voting' for this. As for emails we get maybe once every other month a request for word-wrap.

We do get a lot more emails about code reformatting though.

We neither want to dismiss anyone as a loud minority nor do we want to reallocate development time from essential features just to grease a squeaky wheel :-)

The best way to do that is to thoroughly understand the issue and that means getting as much information as possible.

To take Ken's code example above, I can see that on all my screens perfectly fine with no word wrapping or scrolling.
That doesn't mean Ken's example is invalid or construed, it means I am not understanding something, because obviously I am doing something differently from him.
I don't know, maybe you all now work on 7" netbooks now;-)

That is why I asked to not just 'vote' but give us your personal use case.

Hope that clears up why I am asking questions.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
abqbill

Post by abqbill »

It's just that I don't understand it for code. I have never seen anyone pointing to word-wrapped code and say: "Here. This is better" I have seen lots of ASP code that was edited word wrapped and was completely out of shape and not working.
Hi Alex,

I'm confused by your comment here...it sounds like you are saying that you've seen ASP code that had physical newlines entered into the code at inappropriate places. Of course that would break things. How would a virtual (on-screen only) line wrapping feature break code?

Bill
Alexander Riedel

No, I was helping a developer to figure out why his code was not working. Turned out he had it in an editor with word wrap turned on and it made the VBScript look ok while it in fact was missing required newline characters.

Basically I looked at the code in PrimalScript and saw it was incorrect. A phone line in between and looking at it a different way we had a hard time agreeing on what we saw.

Seen it more than once.
Alexander Riedel2009-10-10 15:11:02
Alexander Riedel
abqbill

Post by abqbill »

No, I was helping a developer to figure out why his code was not working. Turned out he had it in an editor with word wrap turned on and it made the VBScript look ok while it in fact was missing required newline characters.

Basically I looked at the code in PrimalScript and saw it was incorrect. A phone line in between and looking at it a different way we had a hard time agreeing on what we saw.

Seen it more than once.So, your claim is that the improper use of a feature by an inexperienced (or incompetent) user means it should not be implemented?Bill
Alexander Riedel

I am not claiming anything. I was asking to not just vote but describe your personal use case as best as you can.

And in the particular users defense, he is neither inexperienced nor incompetent, not by a long shot. I wouldn't presume to think that about anyone here.
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

This thread has evolved into an argument about who is right or wrong, which is not the purpose of this forum.
I think we have received all the input on this topic we can manage and please rest assured that your input and arguments are appreciated and heard.

I am closing this thread and removing it from public view to avoid unnecessary heated discussions that don't benefit anyone.

If you feel that you have anything further to contribute to the topic please feel free to start a new thread.

Again, thank you for your input.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 14 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.