Directory Object Picker for PowerShell Studio 2012

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 10 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
dan.smith

Post by dan.smith »

Could we request that an implementation of the Directory Object Picker (DOP) be added in a future release? We were wondering if this item could be added to the set of controls available in the toolbox?

The ability to easily select users and groups (either locally or from the AD) is something that I believe that many users would find very helpful. I would venture to guess that a control of this type would get as much use as the already implemented "open/save file" dialogs.

In our case, we're using PowerShell Studio to build a directory management application which frequently interacts with objects from Active Directory. Currently, we're using a kludged-together solution for searching for groups and/or users which isn't as robust as the Directory Object Picker implemented by Microsoft. In order to improve on our solution, we've attempted to wrap the native code in PowerShell so we can use it within our projects. The nice thing about this code it that it does not require the installation of the Active Directory module for PowerShell.

Anyway, we think this would be an valuable addition.

Thanks for your consideration! :)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... 2012-05-20 22:09:49
dan.smith

Post by dan.smith »

It looks like a couple of people have developed various implementations of this control. If it helps, here is a link to an example of one such implementation:

http://joco.name/2011/03/27/directory-o ... arshaling/

...and another:

http://www.koders.com/csharp/fid5DFC0B9 ... s=listview

If there is any way to champion this as an addition to a future release of PowerShell Studio, please let me know. I can't tell you how much use this type of control would get, but I can guess that it would be a popular one!

Thanks again for your time!
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with Active Directory, but maybe one of our users would be willing to make a Form Template or a Control Set and post it. You might want to search the web for Active Directory PowerShell GUIs. Chances are that someone has already made something similar. David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
davidc

Post by davidc »

FYI we are looking into this. David
David
dan.smith

Post by dan.smith »

It would be so amazingly helpful if this could happen. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this! :) -Dan.
alexander.lusk

Post by alexander.lusk »

I just saw this one and I'd like to put in my vote as well. PowerShell is the tool for administering nearly all of Microsoft's latest software and services now. Similarly, Active Directory is the thread that binds them all together. It would make sense to have a DOP control added!
transporteraccident

Post by transporteraccident »

yes please for this! :)
balkanweb

Post by balkanweb »

any update on this? Very interested in a Directory Object Picker.
dan.smith

Post by dan.smith »

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with your support. Does SAPIEN have an update as to whether this control will be included in an upcoming release? We keep running into instances w/our tools where a Directory Object Picker would ease the overall workflow.

Thanks!
-Dan
davidc

Post by davidc »

It's still on our list, but I can't comment on if, when, or how it will be included. V3 is priority at the moment.

David
David
This topic is 10 years and 6 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.