Repackage EXE into an Windows Installer files (MSI)

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 4 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
support-log

Repackage EXE into an Windows Installer files (MSI)

Post by support-log »

I want to know if it possible to Repackage an EXE into an MSI?
The MSI package will report completion only when the internal setup exe installation process truly completes.
An installation capture is done by comparing system snapshots taken before and after the package installation. Optionally filter the scan results using a system noise recording.
Is there a document that shows how to do it?
I don't speek English, I try to express clearly that i can.
Thank you!
support-log

Re: Repackage EXE into an Windows Installer files (MSI)

Post by support-log »

My problem is to create a project based on capturing an installation. As an example, we'll repackage the 7-zip File Manager EXE into an MSI.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

If you package your script into an executable, then yes, you can create an MSI installer for it. For more details, please refer to the following article:

https://info.sapien.com/index.php/packa ... imalscript

We don't offer anything that validates installation, but need to trigger a validation process, you could potentially create an MSI custom action:

https://info.sapien.com/index.php/how-t ... si-builder
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
support-log

Post by support-log »

OK,
As I understand it, I can not use existence executable such as Notepad.exe to create an Notepad.msi installer?
Thanks,
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

PowerShell Studio's MSI installer is designed for scripts and project created in PowerShell Studio, and not stand-alone installers for existing executables. Although you do have the option to add secondary files to your MSI installers.
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 4 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.