Button to increment Build, Minor, & Major Version Numbers

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
PaschalIT

Button to increment Build, Minor, & Major Version Numbers

Post by PaschalIT »

DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTIONS, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM

Hi!

Since Powershell Studio has this handy Build/Installer/Deploy feature, I've been attempting to implement it for an internal company software I've been developing. I've run into a minor complaint with the auto-increment version feature, however, in that it only increments the Revision number automatically. Because of this, the installer does not consider it to be a new version, which means it will not overwrite the program if it's already installed.

My request is to add a feature to the Build All button (or add a separate button, perhaps) that lets you increment the Build, Minor, and/or Major Version Numbers just as the auto-increment feature does for the Revision number.

A minor gripe, but it would be a nice QoL improvement!
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Button to increment Build, Minor, & Major Version Numbers

Post by Alexander Riedel »

What exactly are you incrementing?
if you have a four section (major.minor[.build[.revision]] ) version number on an exe
AND in the MSI settings set it to pull the version number from the exe, then yes, it will increment the revision until it reaches 100 and rolls over.
You could simply use a three digit number for the product and that *should* solve it. (I admit I have not tested that quite right now)
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
PaschalIT

Post by PaschalIT »

Well, I suppose the main issue is that using only the auto increment feature included with Powershell Studio, the newer version of the installer does not recognize itself as being a higher version number than the previously installed version of the program. For instance, if I have version 1.0.0.11 of my program installed and build two new versions before bundling it into a new installer, the installer version 1.0.0.13 does not think it's a newer version and therefore fails to install. It says "A newer version of this software is already installed" and exits the installer.

If this functionality worked, I would have less of an issue with the lack of auto increment options. I have read that if I manually increment the build number then the installer problem would not occur, but I don't understand why a higher revision number would not count as a new version as well.

Edit to add one more thought:
So I suppose this may be a bug rather than a feature request? It is my assumption that any increase in any portion of the version number should count as a newer version.
Alexander Riedel

The problem here is that Microsoft advises to use a four section version number for applications but in Windows Installer (MSI) only evaluates three. There is documentation for that somewhere on Microsoft's site, but I apologize, I do not have that link handy. That is Microsoft's issue and there is probably very little either one of us can do about that. Just for the record, we are not in any shape or form opposed to a button or buttons, but we need to evaluate the issue to define what the button should actually do.

Go to the version of your packaged executable and set the version to 1.0.13, so only a three section number.
Then do a build, install that. It should install fine, since it increased the 'build' part of a version number.
Now do another build and installer. That should now end up being 1.0.14 and also install fine.

Please let us know if that experiment does what you want to do.
Alexander Riedel
PaschalIT

Post by PaschalIT »

Powershell Studio actually does not let me set a 3 section version number. It seems to require 4 sections...

Alexander Riedel

Ohhhhh. I will speak to the team. Stand by
Alexander Riedel
Alexander Riedel

Put the version as 1.0.13.0
If the last one is 0 it should increment the 'build' part automatically.
Alexander Riedel
PaschalIT

Post by PaschalIT »

Ok, that appears to work as you suggested, so that solves the installer issues at least.

I would still like to maintain my initial request for Minor & Major version increment options when building a package, though, if only to save a few clicks and keystrokes to open the build options menu :)
Alexander Riedel

I will investigate where we can put that :D
Alexander Riedel
PaschalIT

Post by PaschalIT »

I appreciate it! Thank you for all of your help with this.
This topic is 4 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.