Feature Request: Streamline Updates

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
djlurch
Meble kuchenne na zamówienie - na wymiar - Wrocław

Post by djlurch »

I was wondering if the update process could be streamlined.Here is the current process:1) Manually check for updates2) Go to sapien website3) Try logon credentials4) Locate correct credentials5) Enter verification code (there are alternative anti-hacking methods)6) Locate download link on web page7) Download file8) Find downloaded file9) Run downloaded file10) Uninstall PS (wait)11) Find file12) Run installer (wait)13) Click through multiple dialog boxes making sure nothing has changed14) Wait while it installs15) Click finish16) Fix Start menu because PS installs a new entry17) Run program18) Try to remember whether to erase previous settings or not19) SUCCESS!I know there are some reasons for some of the steps, but there has to be a better way.

Alexander Riedel

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Normally the process is like this:

- automatic update check informs of available new build
- log on to my.sapien.com
- download file to desktop
- uninstall
- install
- keep settings

So the questions are:
- Why do you not use the automatic update check?
- Why do you not retain the logon credentials?
- What makes locating the download link on the page
a step? It doesn't move really.
- What do you expect to change in the dialogs?
- "Fix Start menu because PS installs a new entry" ?
I don't quite know what that means.
- Why is clicking "Finish" a step that counts? Is
that different than other buttons?
- Why do you count waiting for the installer as a step?
What would you have it do?
- Why do you not remember where you downloaded the file
to between steps?

It appears that some of these are simply not under our control. So I am not quite sure if we can help with them.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.

djlurch

Post by djlurch »

I was not looking for a line by line discussion of the steps I have to take. I posted the steps merely to explain how many steps are required.When I update Firefox, I click on "Update Now" and everything happens automagically in the background. It takes like two or three clicks and I'm done. Including download time, it takes less than one minute.The feature request is for a more streamlined process. It USED to be easy to update PS. Not anymore.

Alexander Riedel

The PrimalScript update process is pretty much the same it has always been: You get the file, remove the old version and install the new one. It takes 44 seconds on my old machine here, including downloading.

The questions I posed where pertinent to clear what you where aiming at. If you don't feel like elaborating, that's fine, then there is just very little we can do to help.

I need to point out that you cannot compare free software and its processes to licensed software.
Alexander Riedel

djlurch

Post by djlurch »

No. But I can compare it to the previous update process for PS...which was much easier.Again, the request is for a more streamlined update process. It's only a request :)

ourIThome

Post by ourIThome »

Yeah, I sometimes wished Primal update would just download the dll / file changes actually required ... rather than having to uninstall / re-install. Or at least have a base folder for the original install, but then have a module folder where the updated components are downloaded to and run, overriding the base install folder components.

Alexander Riedel

Modern OS versions don't easily allow for willy-nilly adding and replacing files in the Program Files folder. Virtually everything has to go through an installer.Specially if you are not running as administrator by default.So updating the installer is just the most effective way to roll out updates at this time. You don't have to uninstall/re-install manually anyway. Our installer takes care of all that and preserving your settings where possible.
Alexander Riedel