[PSS2016] Additional Module Paths

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[PSS2016] Additional Module Paths

Post by Bosparan »

Hi Guys,

glad to have met some of you at Ignite (and thanks again for the invitation, it was a great experience). By now I'm back in the usual grind and I've been - once again - bitten by the feature bug:

Additional Module Paths
I'd like to have a way to specify additional paths in the module path, from where it finds modules to add to the cache.
- I'd appreciate having the option to add a path where all modules within are added to the cache
- I'd also like to be able to explicitly select a specific module
Basically, it builds the cache from all the production modules. But what if I want modules cached that are not in production - which actually really shouldn't yet be there?

Example:
- Modules in development
- Modules in different user profiles, since the development tool may run as a different user than the user routinely running powershell on the local machine.
- Modules in development by other teammates
- Locally cached versions of Remoting Modules (e.g.: Exchange / Office365 modules. When you remote to an Exchange Server, you create a temporary local module and import it - it's actually a scripting module written to disk. Can't have it permanently though, since I connect to different versions of Exchange).

Basic solution idea:
- Specify a list of paths to modules that will be cached, the user can add and remove paths (by default, the default PowerShell paths taken from the environment variable are chosen)
- PSS Scans these paths and generates a list of all modules found
- Then the user can manipulate the list, enabling and disabling modules as desired
- When PSS detects a new path / a new Module, the user is prompted on how to proceed

Cheers,
Bosparan
DevinL

Re: [PSS2016] Additional Module Paths

Post by DevinL »

Hey Bosparan,

As usual, I've passed this along to the team to add to the wishlist and when we have some more news regarding this we'll be sure to post it here.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 7 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.