Add 'Replace in files' to Tools

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Lembasts
Has voted: 1 time
Been upvoted: 1 time

Add 'Replace in files' to Tools

Post by Lembasts »

In the tools menu there is a handy 'Find in files option'.
As someone who works with large projects with many script files it would be cool to add a 'replace in files' option.
Cheers
David
DevinL

Re: Add 'Replace in files' to Tools

Post by DevinL »

There actually is a replace in files option, it's just probably not as easily discovered as the 'Find in Files' option.

In the meantime, if you have a variable that's scattered throughout a project, you can use Right Click -> Rename or Ctrl + Alt + J to bring up the Rename dialog. This allows you to choose the scope of the renaming to the Entire Project.
Rename_Dialog.png
Rename_Dialog.png (6.81 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Is this what you were requesting? If so I'll file a note to speak with the team about how we can make it easier to discover.
DevinL
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

I've gone ahead and filed a feature request to add this to the ribbon so in a future build this will be much easier to find.

Thank you for the suggestion!
DevinL
Lembasts
Has voted: 1 time
Been upvoted: 1 time

Post by Lembasts »

Thanks. It probably would be consistent to include the replace wth the find like the find/replace on the home ribbon.
Cheers
David.
DevinL

Post by DevinL »

Hey Lembasts,

After thinking it over further, I don't know it would be too great of an idea to put the Rename button in the ribbon. It's only available when a variable or event is selected so at any other point the button would simply be disabled. It's because of this that we added it to the context menu when you right-click on a variable/event.

If you have any suggestion on where it could go without disrupting the current UI I'd be happy to hear it.
DevinL
This topic is 7 years and 5 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.