[PSS 2016] Module Projects and The Other files

Post feature requests, product enhancement ideas, and other product-specific suggestions here. Do not post bug reports.
Forum rules
Do not post any licensing information in this forum.
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
Bosparan

[PSS 2016] Module Projects and The Other files

Post by Bosparan »

Hi,

here I am yet again with thoughts on improving Module-Projects :)

Currently, your module projects support three kinds of files:
- .psd1
- .psm1
- Any number of .ps1 script files
It is also possible to load already existing files to the project of any type, however there is little interaction with them, even after PSS has added them to the project.

So here's the idea:
- New file-type: .txt (so about_* topics can be created natively. Maybe even provide Primal Sense for the key elements, same as for CBH)
- Add XML-Help integration when PowerShell Help Writer is licensed and installed
-- Add a button so PSS tells the Help Writer to import the current Module Project, parse all CBH and return a help file that is then imported directly into PSS, while the functions have their meta-data updated, so the new XML is used.
-- Editing an existing XML help file from PSS will open it automatically in Help Writer
- Add XML-Integration for TypeData and FormatData when PrimalXML is licensed and installed
-- Add .ps1xml as a file type when adding a new file in PSS
-- Open .ps1xml files directly in PrimalXML and commit changes back to the project
- Add DLL support
-- DLL files obviously cannot be edited within PowerShell (It might be doable to somehow connect them to Visual Studio, but I frankly can't see a simple way to do this in a user-friendly way). Also please catch
-- DLLs can be configured in their file-properties whether they are scanned for Primal Sense for the entire Module project (it wouldn't do to scan them all, since some might be duplicates, compiled for different architectures).

Benefits:
- Build most of a modules content in PSS
- Manage all module files in a project
- More incentives to buy your other applications

Cheers,
Bosparan
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: [PSS 2016] Module Projects and The Other files

Post by davidc »

Currently you can open help files indirectly using the Project panel's context menu. Right-click on an XML file in the Project panel and select "Open with PowerShell HelpWriter". It should be easy enough to include a PrimalXML option to the menu as well.

I will pass the suggestions to the team.

Thank you for the great feedback!
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
Bosparan

Re: [PSS 2016] Module Projects and The Other files

Post by Bosparan »

davidc wrote:Currently you can open help files indirectly using the Project panel's context menu. Right-click on an XML file in the Project panel and select "Open with PowerShell HelpWriter".
:shock:
How the hell did I miss this? Must have been late, I usually try to verify what I post, before I click on submit. Thanks for pointing that out, makes it easier than ever to work with the help writer :)
This topic is 7 years and 9 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.