Cannot build executable under Windows 7

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 8 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Cannot build executable under Windows 7

Post by davidc »

I sent you a new version of PSBuild.exe via email. Please backup the original and replace with this new version and let us know if you get any new error messages.

David
David
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
yobyot

Post by yobyot »

Did you receive my message that the updated version of PSBuild did not resolve this problem? I also sent event log crash info to the support email address.

On the hypothesis that this might have been due to it being a trial version, I licensed PSS 15 in the VM where I am having this problem. That didn't resolve this issue.

I have noticed one other thing that might be related is that I cannot seem to reliably save a Build setting for this file. See the attached screen snippets. (Once again, even though the path looks like it's on OneDrive, it really isn't. This is in a virtual machine and the real machine syncs OneDrive, not the VM. To the VM, this path is just another, ordinary path.)

FYI, if I copy the source .psf file to a different directory (which doesn't have to be empty of other file types, I can usually generate the packaged script.

Thanks.
2015-07-27_12-37-45.png
2015-07-27_12-37-45.png (34.18 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
2015-07-27_12-39-16.png
2015-07-27_12-39-16.png (36.19 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Just to make sure, it does not matter that the VM just has a network path. In the end it points to a folder controlled by OneDrive.

Onedrive messes with the file system and reflects file that are not really there. It is supposed to get them when need but it does not. It also prevents opening files in many instances while it does something with them. It simply is just not an ordinary path.

Move the original folder off OneDrive, and share it there for the VM.
If you MUST use a cloud sharing functionality, DropBox works perfectly fine in all our tests. We have done extensive testing of OneDrive for VersionRecall and OneDrive simply is not working correctly.
Alexander Riedel
yobyot

Post by yobyot »

That would mean that PSS is the only app -- and I mean ONLY app -- I have run across that has this problem.

And yes, I "must" use cloud storage as I work on separate machines. Dropbox is insecure. Can you recommend anything else while we wait for you to fix PSS when used with OneDrive?
davidc
Been upvoted: 2 times

Post by davidc »

Make sure you set OneDrive to available offline mode otherwise it can cause problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/onedrive-online-available-offline

David
David
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

I suggested DropBox because I know it works. I had no security issues with it, but I do not know your requirements. There are other providers of course.

All I can tell you that while working on VersionRecall, OneDrive was the one system that consistently created problems because file system operations are not executed at all or delayed too long.

It seems that a huge source of problems for OneDrive are what they call "Smart files". Incidentally with Windows 10 Microsoft is removing this part, citing "space problems".

So maybe once Microsoft updates OneDrive to not use these smart file anymore your issue will go away as well.
Alexander Riedel
This topic is 8 years and 8 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.