Clarify Functionality

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

We may be taking a look at this tool for use with VBScripting required in a complex ClearQuest environment. I wanted to find out if instead of CVS this tool would work with the command line of ClearCase? Also when I hit CQ API's in the debugger (in the Pro version) can I call out to ClearQuest behind the scenes to run the API and return the data back into the debugger? It wasn't clear if your tool supports Block Cut and Paste. Related to Cut and Paste, can you cut from say the top of VBScript A in one window and past to code in a second window in the bottom of VBScript A?
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Clarify Functionality

Post by Alexander Riedel »

ClearCase as far as I know supports the Microsoft Source Control API (like SourceSafe), which is directly supported by PrimalScript. Supporting the commandline tools can be done but would require some work on our side.

"Also when I hit CQ API's in the debugger (in the Pro version) can I call out to ClearQuest behind the scenes to run the API and return the data back into the debugger?"
I am not really sure what that means, can you please elaborate?

Block cut and paste: Assuming your mean hold down the ALT key to click and drag to select columns, yes, you can.

"Related to Cut and Paste, can you cut from say the top of VBScript A in one window and past to code in a second window in the bottom of VBScript A?"
I assume you refer to splitting the view on one file and copying/cutting and pasting between these individual views of the same physical file, yes, you can do that.

Alex

Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

Thanks for the quick turn-around. ClearQuest has a number of VBScript API's that carry out ClearQuest functions.
I can code a VBScript in Windows that will use the API's to login to ClearQuest and perform some function in a batch mode.
In your tool I would want to code the VBScripts which we actually use in the tool. When I hit a ClearQuest API in your debugger can I have it call out to a batch VBScript that could then login to ClearQuest perform the API and then pass the data back into the Debugger? I hop thats a bit more clear.
Alexander Riedel

Clarify Functionality

So basically the VBScript files are running INSIDE ClearQuest instead of automating it from the outside?
If that is the case, no, unfortunately there is no way of passing such information back into the debugger.

Alex
Alexander Riedel
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

Could I then set it up so that I create a batch VBScrpt that logs into ClearQuest and gets all the required info and then calls the VBScript that I would normally run in ClearQuest, pass it the required info and then set the debugger to only look at the called script? Since VBScript is seeing the CQ Api's running from the desk top your debugger wouldn't care that they are for CQ would it? It should just see the whole script including the called script as just another VBScript application.
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

I re-read your response and what you are saying is not totally true. From the debuggers standpoint the information would be passed back into it from a VBScript that's running on the desk top. In other words the API that's running in the debugger would just stub out to the batch VBScript running on the desktop and it would get the info out of ClearQuest and pass it back into the debugger.
Alexander Riedel

Clarify Functionality

You said: "Since VBScript is seeing the CQ Api's running from the desk top your debugger ..."

So I assume that ClearQuest exposes a COM interface to the outside that you use to automate. You run external VBS files with CScript or WScript and probably have some code like this in your files:

Dim currentSession
set currentSession = CreateObject("CLEARQUEST.SESSION")
If that is the case you can run those script usually directly in the debugger, it will do the same thing as if you would run the script from the command line. Please let me know if that answers your question.Alex
Alexander Riedel
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

It did and it does. One final question. Does the toop provide the same functionality with the debugger and diff for javascript? A ClearQuest API will be supported for that language in thier next major release and we may move from VBScript to that.

Thanks.
Alexander Riedel

Clarify Functionality

Since you are working from the outside against a documented object model
you should be able to use JScript now.
So yes, it should not matter.
Alex
Alexander Riedel
peters

Clarify Functionality

Post by peters »

You mentioned Jscript and I referred to JavaScript. I believe Jscript is the MS version and we would be using JavaScript. So will what you say apply to JavaScript as well?
This topic is 17 years and 1 month old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.