Certificate browse option - dialog issue

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
mupdike

Certificate browse option - dialog issue

Post by mupdike »

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2021 5.8.194
Operating system: Windows 10 1909
PowerShell version(s): 5.1
32-bit version of software? No

I am trying to specify which code signing cert I want Studio to use in File - Option - Powershell. However the dialog box that pops up when I click the browse button seems to be incomplete. I have tried this in Studio with both elevated and standard user rights, and after restarting the application.

Thanks for any help!
Screenshot Powershell Studio cert browse dialog.png
Screenshot Powershell Studio cert browse dialog.png (28.98 KiB) Viewed 16208 times
DO NOT POST LICENSES, KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: Certificate browse option - dialog issue

Post by Alexander Riedel »

This is a standard Windows dialog, not a dialog under control by us.
Can you confirm you can access certificates from Windows settings and that you have in fact a code signing certificate installed on your machine?
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
mupdike

Post by mupdike »

I am able to open cetmgr.msc with my standard user ID and have a code signing cert in my personal store.

Thanks
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

Are you able to sign scripts via PowerShell with your certificate using the following command:
  1. Set-AuthenticodeSignature
You may also find the following information useful:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/scriptin ... rt-2-of-2/
Brittney
mupdike

Post by mupdike »

Studio was able to sign the file without specifying the cert I want to use, so signing itself is working. But for some reason I am unable to browse to and select the specific cert. I'm down to only one code signing cert right now so it's not a huge issue, but there is expectation that one of my business units might be implementing its own PKI so may require a different cert.

Thanks for all the help.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Post by Alexander Riedel »

If you do not specify a certificate it will use the first one it finds. Can you indicate where in your certificate store your certificate is installed?
The windows dialog browses the personal store of the logged on user.
Alexander Riedel
mupdike

Post by mupdike »

The cert that I have is in the personal store, user based install (not sure machine/user matters for cert personal store). As long as I only have one cert I don't have issues with signing, the issue is that I can't browse and select a specific cert for if/when I get an additional cert.

Thanks for the assistance.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 39
Been upvoted: 30 times

Post by brittneyr »

Is this still an issue for you?
Brittney
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.