Transitioning from VS Code - Trial

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 2 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
wsmelton

Transitioning from VS Code - Trial

Post by wsmelton »

I've come from using VS Code since 2015 (well before 1.0 was released). I'm used to that workflow and mainly the workspace folder structure being whatever I chose for the module. My primary question is around the Projects in PS Studio.

GitHub a common pattern for repositories with PowerShell modules is having the main code (what I think would be the PS Project) in a src and then any other supporting files (e.g. Pester tests, build scripts, helper files, etc.) would be in a parent folder at the root of the repository. An example of this would be a module I manage for work on GitHub: thycotic-ps/thycotic.secretserver

I have not been able to find anything specific on what process there is for migrating or importing a repository with this type of folder structure into a PS Studio project so I can work on those files (both the module and Pester files).

- Is this beyond what PS Studio can handle, or how what it was designed, structure wise to handle?

- Is there something I may not be aware of that will allow me to migrate to using PS Studio over VS Code with similar integrations for Git, Pester and PS itself?

My day-to-day responsibility with my current role is simply writing PowerShell. I generally live with the nuances that VS Code has but the past few weeks the desire to move to something more stable is growing. I used PS Studio years back for a small project and found it usable but since I've lived in VS Code for so long now I understand that moving cold turkey to a new editor will take time to get used to. However, before expensing the cost of the license for PS Studio I wanted to make sure what workflow may not exists in PS Studio and whether I will be able to live with out it. (I do not do much UI writing for PowerShell, strictly scripting and module-based work.)

Product, version and build: PowerShell Studio 2021
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): 5.1, 7.1.3
32-bit version of software?
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 38
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Transitioning from VS Code - Trial

Post by brittneyr »

This should be doable with as a project in PowerShell Studio. The main thing to know and set is the build setting per file. This can be found in the the Properties pane when the file is selected:
SPS_Properties_BuildSettings.png
SPS_Properties_BuildSettings.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 18465 times
To have the structure you are looking for, the files build setting needs to be set to Content to retain the file when build it and not merge it into another.

As for your other question, there is no specific process of migrating to PS Studio from VS Code. Can you be more specific to what you are looking for?
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 2 years and 10 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.