MSI package deployment issues

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
laned101
Answers: 1

MSI package deployment issues

Post by laned101 »

Product, version and build: Powershell Studio 2019, 5.6.167
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): V5
32-bit version of software? 64 bit
I have created two separate MSI packages, which are both different services. I did copy the build settings and modified them to fit the new service.

Now when I deploy the new service (a different service entirely) it was complaining about a newer version already being installed. I resolved this by changing the version number, but now it complains about needing to stop the service previously installed. Im guessing this has something to do with the build template (psbuild file). How do I resolve this?
laned101
Answers: 1

Re: MSI package deployment issues

Post by laned101 »

I have compared the psbiuld files for both and I can see they share the UPGRADEGUID value. So I have resolved this by modifying the value on the new service MSI.
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: MSI package deployment issues

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Yes, the value gets created when the file is initially created and must remain constant. MSI uses this GUID to identify previous version of the same product.
It is best to not manually copy a .psbuild file, but create it using software.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 2 weeks old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.