MSI Building Woes Exe Not included.

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
ojrivera770729

MSI Building Woes Exe Not included.

Post by ojrivera770729 »

To help you better we need some information from you.

*** Please fill in the fields below. If you leave fields empty or specify 'latest' rather than the actual version your answer will be delayed as we will be forced to ask you for this information. ***

Product: PowerShell Studio 2020 (64 Bit)
Build: v5.7.182
Build: v10.0.19041.0

*** Please add details and screenshots as needed below. ***
I get that you can't use packaging to include other files because of the OS changes. I get that you created an msi builder to address this. What I don't get is why the msi includes the support files needed but doesn't include the EXE from the the script I created. Its quite irritating that something so simple that worked in past versions with no issue is now mind boggling complex.

Steps taken:
Created a new forms script in Powershell Studio.
Packaged said script and output to bin folder <nameofscript.exe>
Updated MSI settings included the support files, an ICO, a cmd and another separate ps1
Built msi output <Scriptname.msi>

Ran script and can see it in my add remove programs. Checked c:\program files\My Corp Name\productfolder.
In that folder lies the ico, the cmd and the other ps1 but not the exe. What gives????
Alexander Riedel
Answers: 19
Been upvoted: 37 times

Re: MSI Building Woes Exe Not included.

Post by Alexander Riedel »

Just add your produced exe to the list of files included in the MSI. That's not mind boggling complex, it just puts the user in control what gets added to the MSI.
I understand that, if all you want is to create an MSI your packaged exe with a few other files, any extra step may seem somewhat superfluous.
But if you consider that other users have post processing on their produced exe. Maybe they move it elsewhere, add additional resources, obfuscate, precompile, statically link additional assemblies or whatever else comes to mind. They would have to jump through hoops for no reason at all to avoid having the original exe added to the MSI by default.

So the task of adding the exe you want in your MSI once, and only once, to the list of files is not such a big task I think.
Alexander Riedel
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
This topic is 3 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.