Error message after moving project files

Use this forum to ask questions after your subscription maintenance expires or before you buy. Need information on licensing or pricing? Questions about a trial version? This is the right place for you. No scripting questions, please.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST SUBSCRIPTION NUMBERS, LICENSE KEYS OR ANY OTHER LICENSING INFORMATION IN THIS FORUM.
Only the original author and our tech personnel can reply to a topic that is created in this forum. If you find a topic that relates to an issue you are having, please create a new topic and reference the other in your post.
This topic is 3 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.
rbeuthin2

Error message after moving project files

Post by rbeuthin2 »

Product, version and build:PowerShell Studio 5.5.149.0
Operating system: Windows 10
PowerShell version(s): 7.0.3
32-bit version of software? No

I moved the files for a project to a different location today and then tried to open the form psf file. I'm getting the following error:
Form Element Error: There is an unclosed literal string. Line 30, position 27.
MainForm.psf: Unable to determine object class.

Scrolling through the file and comparing to other psf files I have, I don't see any evidence of the code anymore for the form itself which is very concerning. Any idea what happened here and how to recover the file? This is weeks of work and unfortunately I deleted the files from the original location after moving them which removed my OneDrive backup so I have nothing to go back to.
brittneyr
Site Admin
Answers: 38
Been upvoted: 30 times

Re: Error message after moving project files

Post by brittneyr »

That is strange. Please upload your project here and we will see what we can do:
https://www.sapien.com/support/upload
Brittney
SAPIEN Technologies, Inc.
rbeuthin2

Post by rbeuthin2 »

Thanks for the reply, I have uploaded the project.
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

I've sent you an email. Please let me know if you have received it.
Brittney
rbeuthin2

Post by rbeuthin2 »

Thanks, got the recovered file and tried to open it but still getting an error. It's a different error this time, but still related:

Form Element Error: Failed read data block.
mainform.psf: Unable to determine object class.

At this point, I'm more concerned with knowing what happened here and how to prevent it rather than recovering the file. Thankfully all the PowerShell script code was still retained so I can recreate the GUI part and copy it in but it concerns me that a file can suddenly become so corrupted.
brittneyr
Site Admin

Post by brittneyr »

As I stated in my email, I was not able to reproduce your error so I'm not entirely sure what the cause to this was, but it is not hard for a file to become corrupt in Windows. I would recommend using source control like SAPIEN's VersionRecall or git as it maintains a history of changes to your files, making it easy to recover lost functionality or code.
Brittney
This topic is 3 years and 4 months old and has exceeded the time allowed for comments. Please begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.